step taps/power squats help!

JULSCARVER

Cathlete
The step taps where you straddle the step alternate tapping a foot on top. I absolutely cannot get the timing right on this. I think I may be concentrating on putting my weight on the wrong leg. Do you have any suggestions?
The power squats as well I just can't seem to get either. I may just not be strong enough (I'm nowhere near as fit as you or your crew :( but I did get through Crossfire) Any advice for me on those.
thank you for your great work and fantastic productions-you are miles away from other workout DVDs. You have spoiled me as I find I'm just not satisfied with any other instructor.

Me to! Hope someone can answer this. I feel my legs are to short to straddle tap! I feel like im gonna twist my foot or my knees gonna brake lol. I think im doing it wrong.

Simple - I don't use the step for these, or I go to the end of the step and tap forward on to the end of the step. I actually don't like these because I've missed the step before and almost twisted my ankle. No point in that. This move is just to get your cardio up anyway, so just back it up and go off the end of the step. Much easier and safer, and just as effective!

I have moved out to the short end of the step and do just toe taps on it. Then you are not having to jump soooo high and you won't trip on it.

And the power squats are truly just something I found I have to work up to..... you will master it as your cardio improves. Also, it depends on how rested I am, how AWAKE I am (I am a 4am exerciser), and what I ate the day before.

xoxo, denise :D

Hi there,

Both straddle taps and power squats (on the step correct?) take A LOT of practice. But don't get discouraged! I'm 5ft nothing and can do these moves with the same step height as Cathe BUT it took everything in me to master it.

My suggestion for you would be to probably use just the step topper at first. Once you get used to the moves, you can progress to 6inch and then 8inch. If you really don't feel comfortable, NY25 suggestion of just doing regular taps at the end of your step is an excellent suggestion -- you will get your HR up there and can probably go faster and with a higher step height.

Good luck!

Natasha

Simple - I don't use the step for these, or I go to the end of the step and tap forward on to the end of the step. I actually don't like these because I've missed the step before and almost twisted my ankle. No point in that. This move is just to get your cardio up anyway, so just back it up and go off the end of the step. Much easier and safer, and just as effective!

I'm right there with you on this one. While I didn't twist my ankle, I did fall & ended up with a nasty bruise, so I'm very cautious when I attempt these. I like your idea of tapping off the end of the step.

I don't have a problem with straddle taps, but I have an inner ear thing that makes the power turn squats impossible. I just do plyo squats for those.

So glad...

I'm so happy I'm not the only one with the problem! Makes me feel less alone...I already do some of the modifications you guys suggested...Thanks for the support!

Same here! I could do it but very careful coz I almost twisted my ankle ( I don't remember which Cathe DVD has those step taps). It's better to modify:)

Ahhh...

So very glad to hear that some of you have this same problem. I can do some of the squat turns but will have to work up to all that she does...and the straddle taps just infuriate me cuz I can NOT get the timing right!!! Now i do not feel so alone. :~}

I can only do these two moves because I use two risers instead of three. Before I received my DVDs, I wondered if I needed to buy another set of risers. Now that I've done To The Max, I think I'll be *just fine* staying with two risers! :eek: :D

My "move" I can't seem to get is the line taps. I just can't seem to get coordinated enough to do it up to tempo.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.