Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

step taps/power squats help!

This is a discussion on step taps/power squats help! within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; The step taps where you straddle the step alternate tapping a foot on top. I absolutely cannot get the timing ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM

Question step taps/power squats help!

The step taps where you straddle the step alternate tapping a foot on top. I absolutely cannot get the timing right on this. I think I may be concentrating on putting my weight on the wrong leg. Do you have any suggestions?
The power squats as well I just can't seem to get either. I may just not be strong enough (I'm nowhere near as fit as you or your crew but I did get through Crossfire) Any advice for me on those.
thank you for your great work and fantastic productions-you are miles away from other workout DVDs. You have spoiled me as I find I'm just not satisfied with any other instructor.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Cathlete
ReneePruitt's Profile Fields

Send a message via Yahoo to ReneePruitt

Me to! Hope someone can answer this. I feel my legs are to short to straddle tap! I feel like im gonna twist my foot or my knees gonna brake lol. I think im doing it wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Cathlete

I meant step tap.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Cathlete

Simple - I don't use the step for these, or I go to the end of the step and tap forward on to the end of the step. I actually don't like these because I've missed the step before and almost twisted my ankle. No point in that. This move is just to get your cardio up anyway, so just back it up and go off the end of the step. Much easier and safer, and just as effective!
measuredoak likes this.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Cathlete
neicebug's Profile Fields

I have moved out to the short end of the step and do just toe taps on it. Then you are not having to jump soooo high and you won't trip on it.

And the power squats are truly just something I found I have to work up to..... you will master it as your cardio improves. Also, it depends on how rested I am, how AWAKE I am (I am a 4am exerciser), and what I ate the day before.

xoxo, denise
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Cathlete

But with then ppower squats are u putting your weight on foot on step or foot on then floor?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Cathlete
mini-natty's Profile Fields

Hi there,

Both straddle taps and power squats (on the step correct?) take A LOT of practice. But don't get discouraged! I'm 5ft nothing and can do these moves with the same step height as Cathe BUT it took everything in me to master it.

My suggestion for you would be to probably use just the step topper at first. Once you get used to the moves, you can progress to 6inch and then 8inch. If you really don't feel comfortable, NY25 suggestion of just doing regular taps at the end of your step is an excellent suggestion -- you will get your HR up there and can probably go faster and with a higher step height.

Good luck!

Natasha
Old 07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Cathlete
measuredoak's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY25 View Post
Simple - I don't use the step for these, or I go to the end of the step and tap forward on to the end of the step. I actually don't like these because I've missed the step before and almost twisted my ankle. No point in that. This move is just to get your cardio up anyway, so just back it up and go off the end of the step. Much easier and safer, and just as effective!
I'm right there with you on this one. While I didn't twist my ankle, I did fall & ended up with a nasty bruise, so I'm very cautious when I attempt these. I like your idea of tapping off the end of the step.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Cathlete
nkhansen1's Profile Fields

I don't have a problem with straddle taps, but I have an inner ear thing that makes the power turn squats impossible. I just do plyo squats for those.

It pains me to continue, but it hurts much worse to quit.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 AM

Wink So glad...

I'm so happy I'm not the only one with the problem! Makes me feel less alone...I already do some of the modifications you guys suggested...Thanks for the support!