Step Height...

Stacy

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, I have a question regarding your step height. Many of your adoring fans have noticed that in your newer tapes you've lowered your step height from 6 to 8 inches. Is this just a fluke/coincidence, are you taping more videos in one day now so you want to maintain your endurance for a long taping period, are your joints getting old like mine, or none of the above???? Just curious.

Stacy

Hi Stacy! I lowered my height a few years back after recovering from an injury and found that I was still very winded and working in my training zone on 6 inches so I stayed there.

I ALWAYS USED 8 INCHES--CAUSE I'M TALL, LIKE RHONDA. But, lately: I find it so much more fun--and just as effective to use 6"--plus I feel like I can go longer with less stress to knees and feet.

It's such a relief to hear I'm not alone in the world. I had recently dropped down from 8 to 6 inches after my knees and ankles had been bothering me, and I had really been feeling like a total wimp about it. I now feel like I dont have to justify the change. I, too, feel like my workouts are much more fun and still intense. Since dropping my step height I realized just how much I had been dreading my workouts. Now I'm much more motivated to workout since the fun-factor is back!! (Not to mention the pain is gone!)

:) Stacy

Thank goodness! Now I don't feel guilty about lowering the step height to 6 in the middle of a tape! Not only do I stay at the high end of my target heart rate (144) when the step is at 8 inches, I often go OVER it(155). I have to stop the tape, walk around and let my heart rate and breathing recover! My feet cramp 10-15 minutes into the workout at that height as well. It's funny, because there are some tapes when I can use an 8 inch step without any problems, too.

Looks like I'll be using 6 inches from now on.

When I bought the CTX series for a little while I had vague feelings of dread for the cardio sections with the step. I lowered the height from 8" to 6" and what a difference it made. I found that not only did I start to have more fun (especially with the double ricochets), but I could actually add more energy and movement instead of having to worry about protecting my knees and trying to keep up.
I feel I'm actually getting a better workout now with a lot less stress.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.