stability ball questions

rmdick

I'm new to working out with "the ball" and have some questions.

In Intensity Series, what size ball are you all using? I am about 5'4" and have a 55cm ball which was what was recommended for my height. The balls you all are using look bigger to me? Wasn't sure how tall you guys are and if maybe I should get a bigger one.

I have trouble staying on the ball on some of the exercises. Does this just take practice or improve with increasing strength? In doing the hamstring exercises in PLB, I CAN'T stay up there. If I do these on a step " 4 risers" high, are they as effective? In doing the inner thigh exercises where you pull the ball in toward your body, I am pressing so hard to keep my feet on the ball that that my shins are feeling all the work? Do I just need to keep trying or does it seem I am doing something wrong or need a bigger ball??? Thanks, sorry for so many questions in one post!

Hi Rmdick!

We are using 55 cm balls.

You will have an effective workout using the step for hamstring work but it will challenge the muscle a little differently because the step anchors the movement as opposed to working with an unstable surface.

I actually just answered a question about the shin pain just before yours and here was my suggestion.....The nature the stability ball exercises is demanding since you working hard to stabilize your body while doing them. Try to take more frequent breaks between the exercises as to not take on too much too soon. You may even do better working on each portion of the different exercises separately (outside of your actual workout) to help establish better balance and muscle memory for these exercises.

Take Care
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.