squats/lunges... what am I doing wrong?

dbelden1

Cathlete
I have a question (well two actually) for Cathe or anyone who can help:

Yesterday, I did the PLB with my new barbell set. What am I doing wrong:

squats: during the squat portion of the workout my middle back muscles were getting fatigued and tightening up very quickly ~ after about 6-8 reps and I would have to stop and stretch my back before my thighs and hamstrings would start to feel the burn... As soon as I would jump back in it would take less reps to trigger the tightness, etc...

lunges: during the lunges portion I am feeling the work in my back leg, mostly in the calf and started to get cramps in my back foot as well ~ both sides when they were in the back position! I should be feeling this more in my front thigh and glute (and do a little bit), from what Cathe says in the workout...

What am I doing wrong? :confused: I am starting very shallow because my knees pop if I go too low, and trying very hard to maintain good form and concentrating on each move ~ as slow as I may be at them, but the back thing is killing me, and after about 6 lunge reps my back foot kills! Is it just the newness of the barbell.

I have no lingering soreness other than in the places I would expect today (i think you all call them DOMS). Should I continue working my way through this tightness and see if it gets less over time? I'm hoping it is just the barbell working my muscles and balance a little differently. I had used dumbbells in the past (with this same workout) and never had these issues.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Dani

Are you making sure that your weight is in the heels of your feet? I think if you are too far forward on your feet it would work you incorrectly. I always make sure I can wiggle my toes in my shoes while doing squats. I detest lunges and avoid them at all cost, but the same should hold true. Your weight should be in the heel of your front foot.
sign0111.gif

Boy, it is so hard to know without seeing you do the moves. Are you careful to position the bar on the soft tissue and not your neck, and then again, not too low down either? Are you looking forward, rather than up or down? Is your spine straight rather than curving? It will be at an angle, but should still be straight. I get some of the back tightness when doing Amy Bento's Slo Mo legs, but that one is expected to put some tightness in your back as the moves are completely different than PLB, which really doesn't incorporate the back. As for lunges, make sure your foot is bent and that you aren't on your toes. That back leg is working your quads and the front (be sure you are pushing through the heal on the front leg) will work more hamstrings and glutes. If the pressure is on the front heal, the back foot should not cramp, nor should you feel it in your calf. At least your knees aren't hurting... :D

Not sure how long you've been with Cathe or what your usual weight load is, but it sounds like your barbell is too heavy if your back is fatiguing so quickly. Try the bar about half the weight and get that form precise and perfect before going any heavier if your back can handle it.

As for lunges, not only do you need to focus on keeping your torso upright but also make sure that you don't have too much weight on that back foot which will cause cramping in your back foot and calf. Shift more of your weight into the front heel as Lynne pointed out and you should feel it much more in the front glute. Your back quad will feel it too.

Ok:

amyg: I have been doing Cathe's workouts once each (PUB & PLB) per week for about a month now (less one week for vacation over the holiday) but just got a barbell and yesterday was the first time I used it. When I was using dumbbells, I would use 2 - 10# dumbbells ~ one on each shoulder... i have to admit that the barbell had MUCH less weight maybe a total of 10-12#'s because I was scared to do too much weight not knowing how my body would respond... I'll try again tomorrow on the lunges and concentrate on the front leg. I thought I was, but apparently not enough ;)

Meowracer: I was trying different positions with the back leg as far as distance behind me, and still didn't seem to make a difference in the back foot cramping... I guess I need to stop that portion of the workout and really concentrate on my front leg more. :)

1gruntgal: I do the toe wiggles too :cool:... especially on the tall box portion, so I'll try to do the same with squats and lunges as well... :D

Like Cathe said "there's a lot of instruction isn't there?" I hope it gets easier!

thanks all! keep the suggestions coming! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.