Spinning

Faythe

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-01 AT 08:15PM (Est)[/font][p]Today I did spinning for the first time since the early 90's. Wow, my butt hurts so much. Just from the seat even with a bike seat cover and padded shorts. Does anyone else spin? How long until you get use to it? Or do you? I am considering joining a studio with spin classes and wanted to do 2 a wk so I can get more cardio in (besides step and running). I feel my heart is still recovering hours later. Wow, I know I really worked hard, and feel good but wonder if it will do too much damage (pain wise) and I wont be able to do my regular exercise the next day due to soreness. Any advise?
Oh, forgot to mention: What shoes are best? I used running shoes and my feet hurt. (I'm sure it was where I was putting the pressure.)
Faythe

Hi Faythe!

You don't get used to the seat so much as learn how to sit on it. Make sure the instructor has checked your position. Beginning Spinners should have the front bar raised up a bit to reduce the tendency to lean onto the front of the saddle. Your weight should be on your "sit bones" which are located in your glutes. Don't lean onto the front of the saddle where you will put pressure on a very tender area. Your hands are for balance, keep your weight on your sit bones if sitting & over the pedals when out of the saddle.

I use a lubricant called "Body Glide" on the chamois (padded part of bike shorts). The racing saddle on my road bike is more comfortable than a Spin bike seat. Another product is Chamois butter. Even Vaseline is ok but messier. The lubricant goes on the inside of the shorts. A rookie where I Spin has been lubing the outside of their shorts - Gross for the next rider on that bike!

You will want to get cycling shoes if you want to stick with this. Ask the instructor what type of cleats. Until then, use the stiffest soled athletic shoes you have (e.g. court shoes - not running).

Take it easy while your muscles (& other parts) are getting used to Spinning. If you have a heart rate monitor, use it. I'd stay below 75% for a few weeks. Don't worry, it's the classic way to build an endurance base & you'll still burn plenty of calories. Avoid "jumps" for awhile, then start slow.

Have fun.
Debra

Debra,
I can't thank you enough for your advise. After I recover I will try those lubricants. I had 1 free class and am deciding about joining that club or another club which I have a free week pass which I will try next week. So I should recover by then, I would hope. Thanks again for your help! :>)
Faythe

Hi Faythe! Debra has offered great advise. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with that painful bike seat soreness. I remember my very first spin class and I wondered how spinning was becoming so popular when I thought it was the most uncomfortable soreness I ever experienced. The next day I tried to get on the bike and my eyes literally teared up and I felt bruised in my crotch area. After two weeks (at 3 classes a week) it finally subsided and I was able to get a GREAT workout. Hang in there!

Faythe,
All spinners remember that horrible feeling (ohmigodIbrokeitmyhusbandwillkillme)but it does go away. Wanted to add GET A GEL SEAT COVER. They cost under $20 (Target, Kmart, sporting store, in the bike section). It will make a world of difference, I can't stress it enough. The other stuff helps, but it's the hard seat, not the friction, that usually gives you that ache in the triangle area. I love spinning, it has increased my indurance tremendously in other cross-training activities, including step. Don't give up!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-01 AT 03:26PM (Est)[/font][p]>I use a lubricant called "Body
>Glide" on the chamois (padded
>part of bike shorts).
>The racing saddle on my
>road bike is more comfortable
>than a Spin bike seat.
> Another product is Chamois
>butter. Even Vaseline is
>ok but messier. The
>lubricant goes on the inside
>of the shorts. A
>rookie where I Spin has
>been lubing the outside of
>their shorts - Gross for
>the next rider on that
>bike!

Faythe--
Stay away from vaseline as a lubricant. The petroleum products can stain your shorts, and it rubs off too easily. Bodyglide is much better, and it comes in a roll-on applicator (like deodorant) so it's easy to apply. Chamois butter (actually called "Chamois Butt'r") is in a tube, so you get your hands messy applying it. You can find chamois butter at a bike shop and Bodyglide at a running shop.

Keep at it--you will get more comfortable on that saddle!

Thank you all for your great advise. Ironically, I did use a gel seat cover and padded bike shorts. It feels like I didn't. I think the handle bars should have been up more, so I wouldn't have to reach so far for them, making it nearly impossible to sit on my "sit bones". But the seat was adjusted. If I get the right sneakers and the gel mentioned above and learn how to sit properly I think the results will be worth it. I will hop on the sattle again, just after I am feeling ...uummm, better!
Thanks again,
Faythe

Hi,
I remember that awful seat so well...it feels like you were skinned right after the class. It took me awhile before I surrendered and bought padded cycling shorts ( I like tiny workout shorts and felt the cycling shorts looked goofy )I tried the gel seat but it made my inner thighs chafe against it. Anyaway vanity loses when it comes face to face with a skinned crotch ... got the padded sugoi shorts ...the shortest i could find and got cycling shoes with the clips and the spinning has been awesome...it does amazing things for your thighs...I now have quads, hams and calves...even the little dent at the bottom of the calf muscle. Hope you have fun once you find a comfortable way to pad your bum...or hey, here's a thought: third hand position all the way! Ha!Ha!Ha!

RE: Doing the time

Faythe, honey, even if you do everything perfect, you are still going to be sore at first. Since you already used the bike seat cover and padded bike shorts, I think it's just that you're a beginner and need to get that area used to the work. Form is way important for many reasons, but I think even if you are PERFECTION in form you are gonna have to do the time. An epsom salt soak/bath was helpful for me. It won't take long to go away if you keep it up. I only say this because I don't want you to run out and spend a lot of money on stuff and still be frustrated when you are sore. I don't even use padded shorts anymore...or lube....just the padded seat. But that first week or two I am with Cathe...I swear I thought I broke my personal parts. I hope it goes away soon! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.