Situps and back fatigue

denni

Hi Cathe,

I hope that you are doing well.

I find that when I am doing situps I get back muscle fatigue, which doesn't allow me to do as many situps as I would like. Does this mean that I have a weak core? If so, what can I do to reduce the likelihood of this happening?

Thanks very much in advance Cathe :D,

Denni

Planks!! Planks help your total core which will in turn help your situps. That and just keep at it - the more you work your abs, the stronger they'll get and they'll rely less on your back for assist. Be sure you are paying close attention to form, as well.
But seriously - planks! (I hate them but they sure work)

I find it difficult to do sit ups or crunches properly at the end of a workout when I'm already fatigued. I tend to do core work separately and very slowly (yoga abs / pilates etc rather than fast and furious crunches). My stomach tends to protrude if I get my form wrong, so I'm very careful.

I agree with plank being a great core strengthener. One tip (from my Pilates instructor) is, when on elbows and toes in plank, try to push your elbows and toes out and away from one another (sort of towards the ends of an X ). It makes you engage your glutes more.

Hope Cathe chimes in on this!

Thanks for your advice NY25 and Justinef! I never thought about doing planks. Very smart! This will definitely strengthen my back.

Have a great day!

Denni.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.