shrugs ?

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Hi Cathe & educated crowd, my question is about shrugs and what is considered "moderate weight."
In PS-BBA (I believe that's the one w/shrugs), Cathe says, "use a moderate weight so you won't get a bulky development" and my question is what is considered moderate?
I've been using 15#db, but it occured to me that perhaps that may be too heavy, and before I develop a neck like "the incredible hulk", I should ask!
I've always considered 3-8# light weight/ 10-20# moderate weight/ and anything over 20# as heavy.
I don't want to over develop, so is 15# okay? or too heavy? God knows I don't want a Lou Ferrigno neck!
Thanks, Donna

It doesn't seem like you could just develop this Lou Ferrigno neck overnight! If 15 lbs is too much, as soon as your neck is the slightest bit too big, back off to 10 or something. That being said, I use 22 lbs on the shrugs (holding 10 and 12 pound dumbells in each hand) and my neck looks pretty normal. So, I would think 15 pounds would be fine.

You hold 10 pounds in one hand, and 12 pounds in the other? Do you switch them after a set? I would be concerned about creating a muscular imbalance, even if it is not visible. Jeanne

Pardon...

...my butting in here Jeanne, but I think Mogambo holds a 10 & 12 in BOTH hands together. Meaning she is holding a total of 44#'s with both hands. Please correct me Mogambo if I'm wrong.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT 01:49PM (Est)[/font][p]No, I hold two dumbells in each hand, a 10 and 12 in each hand, so the total weight is 22 pounds. I have very long fingers. You are correct, Debbie, a total of 44 pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.