Shoulders - am I doing something wrong??

jaj999

I've been working out with MIS & the PS series for about 6 weeks now & I've seen strength gains everywhere except my shoulders. Are they just slower to develop than the rest of me? I've been able to increase my weight on every other segment, but I'm still wimpy when it comes to shoulders. Upper body has always been a weak area for me so that's where I really want to gain strength. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Judy

I'd suggest you work shoulders after several days of upper body rest. I'd also suggest that you work them at your own optimal time of day and before aerobics. In other words, prioritize them.

By the way, I think many women complain that their shoulders aren't as strong as other muscle groups. I believe my side delts are unusually strong. I have no problem doing side laterals with 10 pounds, straight arm. I attribute this to lots of time spend doing heavy, wide grip upright rows. Jeanne

Hi Judy! Everyone always seems to have one body part that is either stronger or weaker than the others. If shoulders are your weak link, then try to focus on them a little more than the other body parts. Work them with the heaviest weight you can handle two times per week all by themselves (in other words, not attached to a cardio workout and also not along with other body parts). Most people can not go with very heavy weight when it comes to training shoulders so don't be discouraged if your weight amount is not very high. Try to do the shoulder portion of the slow heavy series one day per week and on the other non-consecutive day do three sets of 10 to 12 reps of 4 of your favorite shoulder exercises. Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch - I'll try that. I have noticed that by the time I finish the chest on MIS & PS and get to shoulders, they aren't at their peak strength anymore.

Slow & Heavy for Shoulders

Hi - I just wanted to add that the shoulder segment from Slow&Heavy is doing wonders for me! I've only been doing this series for 3 months, and I've increased my weight already. I'm getting wonderful definition in the whole shoulder area. My husband said "check out those delts" the other week and I gasped in joy!!! Plus I am much stronger in general (from the whole series) that my running has improved greatly.

thanks Cathe!

marnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.