Shoulder trouble...what do I do now?

MRSchultz

Cathlete
Hi Cathe:

I have been having some shoulder trouble for about a year now. It started in my right shoulder and now the pain is in my left shoulder. I've been to the doctor and they suggested that I start toning the muscles around my shoulders to help with strengthening them so they won't hurt. Well, I've tried that and nothing really seems to do much good, I still have a hard time with mobility in my left shoulder (the right shoulder doesn't hurt much at all anymore, go figure!).

Any suggestions? Do I stop lifting weights all together? Do I do your exercises but without any weights at all? I'm confused, the pain in my shoulders has stopped me from training the rest of my body with weights because of the pain.

Thanks, Marcia. :)

Marcia,
I'm not Cathe, but I had a right shoulder injury 2 years in a row. I had always worked out with weights and couldn't believe it when I injured myself lifting a patient. I took 2 months off from shoulder work each time. I HAD to, just to stop the pain and heal. I did go to physical therapy and did stretching along with some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers. Eventually I started low with the weights and built up. I can't say I really train heavy for shoulders even now. But I have gained strength, and have not injured myself again. (As a nurse and do a lot of lifting, etc.)

Any time I feel that same "twinge" in my shoulder, or even a hint of that same feeling, I back down off my weights and am very very carefuly of how and what I lift at work. I am able to do the full body pushups now, with no pain. It has taken time to get stronger, without hurting myself.

Don't ignore shoulder pain!! If you keep working an injury you might end up needing surgery. Maybe you have some arthritis in the shoulders? I have a touch, even at 38. I hope Cathe will answer this, or one of our other more knowledgeable Cathe-ites! But please don't ignore the pain and hurt yourself more.

Good luck!
Lynn

Hi - I too have shoulder pain in conjuntion with neck pain. It was so severe last year at this time I had to lay off exercise for almost two months - I has an X-ray and I do have arthritis in my neck. I had physical therapy and went back to exercising. It's interesting that when I lift weights (dumbells), I don't have any pain. I experience the pain mostly after I've worked on my computer (usually all day). I work at a desk also and these activities are the only thing that exacerbates the pain. Like now, I've been at the computer all day and I'm in pain. When I go home, I'll do kickboxing and 20 minutes of weight training and I won't feel the pain. Incidentally, I'm 49 years young. I'd be interested to know what Cathe thinks about this.

Hope you're shoulder's better - Happy holidays!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.