shoulder press with dumbbells

firemedic

Cathlete
I was wondering when doing a shoulder press with dumbbells, is there a difference in the excercise wether sitting or standing? In some of your workouts you sit and others you stand. I prefer to sit because I find I don't arch my back and use my shoulder more instead of standing. I just wanted to make sure if it's okay to sit or better to stand.

Thanks for everything Cathe. You are the best.

Kim

But this exercise is more difficult when performed seated, forcing you to really concentrate that muscle because you can't use momentum or your core so much to help you, so, wouldn't the extra effort required end up burning more calories?

Whichever way you do it, it is excellent, so you get to choose what you prefer or just keep switching it up.

Clare

Overhead presses, or most exercises shoulder-related are markedly more difficult for me when seated (due to shoulder break 2 yrs back). Therefore, sometimes I will just stand or else I lighten my weight.

Either way, I use light weights for my shoulders anyway, because they are football- player sized and I just don't want them much bigger. And they do get big!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.