shoulder pain

i think i pulled a musle? doing chest flies. now it hurts a little below the deltoids on right arm,top of tris when doing flies or over head press. what can i do to help recovery? i want to be ready for sts.

laura

i think i pulled a musle? doing chest flies. now it hurts a little below the deltoids on right arm,top of tris when doing flies or over head press. what can i do to help recovery? i want to be ready for sts.

laura

I'm so sorry to hear this Laura. I don't know how serious this is but if it just feels like a minor pull, then I suggest a few days to a week off of any exercises that involve this sensitive area. During this time stretch, ice, and do a light massage with your fingertips in this area. If it doesn't feel even the slightest bit better after a week off, you're best is to go to your doc and have it evaluated. Good Luck!

thanks for the quick reply! yes,it is a minor pull. should i avoid any shoulder excercises and chest work? i dont think any other excercises affect the pain.

laura

thanks for the quick reply! yes,it is a minor pull. should i avoid any shoulder excercises and chest work? i dont think any other excercises affect the pain.

laura

Hi Again...

Yes, while the inflammation/tenderness is strongly in there, avoid any exercise that tugs on it. That will only aggravate it, prolong inflammation, and slow the healing process. But you don't want it to get stiff either so do light stretching before icing and when it is less sensitive additionally do "light" massage with your fingers to stimulate blood flow to the area and help promote healing. Take Care!

Advice for AFTER you've healed-up

As someone who used to have chronic shoulder issues I can tell you whenever you do chest work you should FEEL it in your chest. If you're not, chances are you need to change your arm position. When your arms are down and out and you're bringing them up, bend your elbows slightly and make like you're hugging a big beach ball. When your dumbbells come together at the top of the move they should be directly above the mid-line of your chest, NOT in line with your shoulders. I can't tell you how long I did this wrong and how much time I had to take off from repeatedly injuring myself by doing this wrong. Learn from my mistakes and always know where you're supposed to feel a move and make sure that IS where you're feeling it. If not, you're at least wasting time. Or worse, you're doing damage. All I know is I started really paying attention and, like magic, my chest muscles got sore (for awhile) and the pain in my shoulders vanished.

Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.