Shaking

honey

Why do muscles sometimes shake during lifts? I know it's normal, but why does it happen? I've searched the web for a good reason why muscles quiver and didn't find a clear answer.

For instance, my chest always shakes during MIS. My other muscles rarely shake even if I work to complete exhaust.

Does the shaking signify a more complete working of the muscle? Or is it just one of those quirky things?

Thanks!

Honey

Hi honey, I could be wrong but I think that's a sign that your using to heavy of a wt. Pyramid down and see what happens.

RE: Or perhaps

it could be that you are not properly fueled up for your workout. Do you lift on an empty stomach? If so, have something like a piece of toast with peanut butter on it about a half hour before working out so that your muscles have adequate glycogen. I know that when I do cardio first thing in the morning, I usually have a cup of coffee and then get at it, however, if I am going to weight train, I have a little sustenance first - not much but just enough to take the edge off.

As well, when muscles get fatigued, it is not uncommon for them to shake a little.

Kim

I'm not an expert, but I don't think shaking is a bad thing cause Cathe even calls attention to her own legs when doing plie squats saying something like, "don't look at my legs, they're shaking!" So I believe it means the weight is very challenging for you, but I don't think the shaking is necessarily bad unless you're losing form due to intense shaking. Personally, I'd like to shake the hand of the woman who can do the sit and stand squats from PS SL&A Series and not shake by the end of those bad boys!
Donna

Hi Honey! A shaking muscle is responding to the resistance of the weight (unless you are under fueled which in that case it is due to low sugar in your system). As long as your form does not suffer (and your are properly nourished) and you can handle the weight safely, shaking is nothing to worry about even though it make not look "pretty" ;-)! The premium situation is to have a partner or spotter to assist you at these times.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.