SH back/chest sub

kellib

Cathlete
Cathe--
Is it okay to substitute rows for the dead lifts? I think my form is off or something bc with the full slow dead lifts, I had some major back pain. I tried doing bent over rows the next time instead, and didn't have the same back pain.

As always, your new tapes are awesome! (I'm asking for the Express set for Christmas, can't wait! They're about the only ones I don't have yet!)

Thanks,
kelli

Hi Kelli! You may want to try doing quarter dead lifts verses full dead lifts. Simply go down just to the point where you are still in full control with no discomfort and then come back up. Eventually as your muscles adapt and strengthen you may find that you are able to go just a little further every few weeks or so.

While deadrows challenge the hamstrings to some degree, they recruit more back muscles and a little less hamstring than deadlifts do.

thanks Cathe!
I have noticed that over the past year+ of working out with your strength videos I've gained significant back strength. I like to cycle and used to have awful back pain but not anymore!!!
I usually have no problems with the quarter dead lifts, think I'll stick to those.
Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.