Saw the doc like you suggested

shakeubooty

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe!

Remember me, the one with the bad knee? You advised me to see the doctor in a post earlier this week. I was going to rest it another week and then see if it still hurt but I changed my mind and went to see the doc today. (I guess I was getting nervous that I could be injured worse than I thought.)

Anyway, he said I have strained my patellar tendons. He rommended to continue icing it, gave me a prescription for Piroxicam which will work better than the ibuprofen because it's time-released, and give it about 6 weeks to heal. Yep, 6 WEEKS! My heart sank when he told me that. He said I didn't have to give up activity altogether but should avoid any jumping and try not to do too much.

So I guess I'm back to my original question. Any ideas for me on cardio other than walking or marching in place? Maybe even possibly a rotation idea? I have almost all your tapes and have been alternating Pure Strength Chest/Shoulders/Triceps and Back/Biceps/Abs. I'd also like to lose about 20 pounds I've put on over the past 2 years (just found out I'm hypoglycemic in November but that's a different story) but I realize it will be hard to do so under my current limitations.

Hope to hear from you!

Sue

When I was first injured, they thought it was my patella tendon and gave me suggestions. I think that the eliptical machine was the most highly recommended for cardio (if I am remembering correctly, which I am 99% sure that I am!). You need something that is controlled and won't hurt so much by putting tension and pressure on that injury. Stretching is SO IMPORTANT too. My physical therapist did only stretching with me for the first couple of weeks. Little by little we worked into leg lifts, ankle weights, etc.

I think the best thing for you to do is consult a physical therpist. They are trained to help you work through an injury and toward more intense activity. You are probably covered by medical insurance for physical therapy and little by little they will nurse you back to health and give you suggestions for home cardio.

Take care of yourself and hope you heal quickly(but don't rush it b/c it truly does backfire)!

Christine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.