S&H and pure strength

I don't have these particular videos, but have been around Cathe long enough to feel confident in answering. (I've watched the video clips many times and I have other videos.) Also, I am pretty sure the PS series is what I have caught portions of on Discovery Health.

In general PS will use lighter weight (probably about 35 pounds for legs, for example) and move more quickly--faster reps and less rest between sets. When I am able, I plan on buying Slow and Heavy for whatever that is worth.

I can try and elaborate more if you don't get a response from someone who has actually done them. Jeanne

Hi Angie,
I have both of these series of tapes and I think I can help you out here. I have found that while using the Slow and Heavy series I had to actually lighten up on the amount of weight used compared to Pure Strength. The pace of S&H is really slow (a 6 count lift), so in order to do them that slowly with no momentum, and with good form, I needed to go lighter. The only other main difference I can think of is that Cathe puts about a minute rest in between sets in S&H (greatly appreciated), while in Pure Strength we move fairly quickly from one set to the next.
Hope that helps.

Angie,

Cathe posted a breakdown of her strength workouts in response to "Cathe Video help??" on 6/20/01. I think you'll find it helpful.

Debra

Angie, I can go really heavy on Slow/Heavy and lighten up for PS. Because there's no momentum, I feel like I have more control. When hte pace is quicker, I lose my form more easily if I don't moderat the weight. It's funny how everyone is so different, isn't it?:)

Bobbi

Hi
Without too much technical terms, the Pure Strength series is a set of three tapes, each tape targeting specific muscle groups for example back and biceps or chest, triceps and shoulders, etc..two tapes run about 45 min and the leg one is about an hour. Moderate to heavy weights are used and if i remember correctly each exercise is about 3 sets of 8 -10 repetitions. The Slow and Heavy series again is a set of 3 tapes, each tape targeting a group of muscles, only they run longer..about 1 hr or more each tape and each repetition is sort of like in slow motion. Instead of the usual count, each rep is like 5-6 seconds working the negative and again the positive..so it takes longer..it also works your muscles better I think...i hope this made sense to you. I have both and when i feel i need a tougher workout i do the S&H which is longer, although Pure STrentgh isn't easy either
Vanessa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.