S& H--frustrated

michele1967

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-01 AT 05:44PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Cathe,
First of all, congratulations!
I just finished an 8-week rotation of total body weights 3x's per week(alternated MIS and Power Hour)and 3 days of 45-60 min cardio.
Started to see some decent results (I am not new to weight training or your workouts, but had been in slump for a while).
I did all three S& H tapes this week; increased my usual weight on some exercises and decreased on others.
Although I felt I was working hard, I wasn't particularly sore the next day (except w/chest)--even after the lower body tape. Never felt burned out. I just finished triceps and biceps, so we'll see.
Could it be my weights were too heavy and I lifted improperly? I was trying to concentrate on form,and decreased my weight for that particular reason several times.
Could it be I am stronger than I thought?
I am just confused as to why I wouldn't feel as though I had worked very hard.It seems like I'm much more fried after endurance-type workouts.
I plan to keep experimenting, but just wanted your opinion.
Thanks!
Michele

I would also like an answer to this. I had the exact same feeling after doing the S&H Series. To take it a step further, when doing biceps and triceps I did not even feel the bulge in my biceps that I get with the other workouts. I just did the CTX series this week and I was sore every single day, especially biceps which I could barely finish because the muscle was so tight in there. I felt no tightness at all with the S&H series and I also wondered if I was doing it wrong or needed more weight. Actually, I don't think I could lift more weight. I lifted more than normal and still felt no tightness in the muscles.

Hi, Michele!

Just to relate my own experience ... I usually get quite sore with more muscular endurance workouts, and even with Pure Strength. But for the most part, I don't have that lovely DOMS with the S&H series. Each week I do it, though, I can lift a little heavier, and can see that my strength has increased greatly when I return to MIS and PS.

I also was reading Karen Andes' book last night and she mentioned high rep workouts (up to 50 rep sets) being used by bodybuilders to get more hardness in the muscles. This may explain the lack of pump you're getting immediately following the workout.

I think a better gauge than muscle soreness is to know if you worked hard and that you really couldn't have eeked out another rep or gone up another pound. So hang in there--and enjoy the lack of soreness! :-cool

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

RE: Hi, Michele!

Thanks, Kelley & Gretchen. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Cathe, what's your take on this?

Thanks,
Michele

Hi Michele! Higher rep workouts with less rests in between tend to build up a lot more lactic acid in the muscle (that burning sensation)which causes more muscle soreness. That is what you are experiencing. Slow and heavy IS working, don't you worry. Its just that the longer breaks and stretching between each set helps to break down the lactic acid build up. Keep using impeccable form and focused time under tension with slow heavy and you'll be doing just fine!

Thanks so much for responding, Cathe. I really appreciate it.
Makes sense--I will keep at it.
HAve a great holiday.
Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.