Running vs. Stepping

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello Cathe,

I would like your opinion if possible on this. I have been running for a few months, but I find the running incredibly painful on my legs and knees (I recently purchased arch supports and they seemed to help somewhat), but I still have to take 1-2 days off from running and stepping after my run. I would like to know if this means that I am, possibly, not cut out for running.

I joined a running club a few months ago and they are very good runners. Despite my previous step experience, I found that I could not run as fast as them. I am improving all the time, but I cannot speed up my progress because I cannot do more than maybe 2 (3 max) runs a week.

Is stepping as affective as running? I seem to work harder when I run than when I step. Which of your tapes would come close to giving me the same cardio as running: I have Circuit Max DVD, BodyMax DVD, RS DVD and Cardio Hits DVD. I love stepping for the choreography, but running for the cardio challenge. Furthermore, I don't suffer (except for the occasional twinge) leg and knee pains when I step - I could do it everyday.

Will my body get use to running the more I run? Many people on the forum have given me very useful advice, but I would like to hear your opinion.

TIA

Yen

Running is hard on my lower body as well. I don't like stepping. I've picked up kickboxing and jumping rope as my primary cardio exercises. They seem to be less stressful on my body than stepping and running.

Crystal

I'm not Cathe, but . . .

IMHO, the Cathe workouts that would give you a semi-comparable cardio experience to running would be Interval Max and MIC, as well as the interval segments and hi/lo segments in the CTX series. With those that I've just noted, there is a significant amount of impact involved both on the floor and on the step; however, much of this impact is absorbed by both feet simultaneously in two-footed landings, whereas in running one foot is absorbing all the impact with each stride throughout the run.

If you're suffering from leg / knee pain from running a number of things can be off kilter. Although it is indeed a wonderful cardio mode you may want to just stay put at your current speed, and cross-train with step, hi/lo and kickbox on the other days.

Annette Q. Aquajock

I hope to hear from Cathe on this too as I posted a similar question in the Open forum a while back and I think I must have worded it wrong because I didn't get many responses to my question, I got more remaarks on running period and no comparison to step.

;-)

I have a similar problem when I run. I decreased the pain by going to a "real" running shoe store and having them take a look at how I run and recommending the appropriate shoes. This really helped, however, I have found that as I have gotten older(I'm in my mid-30's now) that I have to take at least a day off in between each day of high impact exercise(running or step).

I find that running is more of a cardiovasuclar challenge for me but I really have to vary my workouts to avoid overuse injuries. I have found that IMAX helped to improve my running speed. I have also found that increasing leg strength improved my running speed.

I have a similar problem when I run. I decreased the pain by going to a "real" running shoe store and having them take a look at how I run and recommending the appropriate shoes. This really helped, however, I have found that as I have gotten older(I'm in my mid-30's now) that I have to take at least a day off in between each day of high impact exercise(running or step).

I find that running is more of a cardiovasuclar challenge for me but I really have to vary my workouts to avoid overuse injuries. I have found that IMAX helped to improve my running speed. I have also found that increasing leg strength improved my running speed.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-02 AT 12:38PM (Est)[/font][p] Well Yen, what I have to say you probably already know.

To be able to run fast and pain free you must train with running. I actually found running very comparable to IMAX, with IMAX actually being harder for me. However, when you say you joined a running club and everyone there runs faster, I fear you may be thinking you can just "jump in" and run at their speed.

You may be fit cardiovascularly from Cathe cardio, but that does not mean you can run as fast as these people who, most likely, do nothing but run (if I know runners :). They train for this and nothing else, except maybe some light strength training. Also, remember, if you are lifting heavy throughout the week ala Cathe, then you very well may be stressing your muscles and joints with all that and what sounds like VERY intense running. Do not try to keep up with those people. I think if you slowed down you would have a much more pleasureable experience until your body gets more used to running.

Ok, if you saw me, you would KNOW I am not built to run. However, I do. And it sucks most of the time, well, atleast until about mile 3. Do you have any hills around you?? I find that when I warm up by walking fast/jogging and then quickly hike up a hill or mountain for approx 10 min, my legs get so warm that all those little uncomfortable twitches and pains seem to go away for awhile.

I really would question though whether you are pushing yourself too hard because you are around other poeple when you run. Do you have a HRM?? These are excellent to be able to tell in what zone you should keep your running. I find that at a 10 min. mile pace my HR stays around 140 ish. For every single Cathe tape I do with a 6" step, my HR stays at 150+, often upwards of 170. So for me, running is my recovery cardio.

I would suggest you think about slowing the pace atleast until you find it a little more comfortable. You NEED recovery days and it does not sound like you are giving enough of it to your body. AND weight lifting does count. I don't care what anyone says but when I am doing a S&H rotation, I just can't do as much hard core cardio. I am tired...

I hope this helps Yen. Since you already looked into the biomechanics issue, I am left to assume that intensity is your problem. Really, a HRM is one of the neatest "toys" you can have. That and a TIMEX GPS distance calculator ( that is on my X-mas list :)

Janice

And Yen,

Stepping will not train you to run. It is not your caridovascular system that is experiencing the problems, yes?? It is your musculoskeletal system. That points to either biomechanics but more likely to "too much, too soon". And I don't mean mileage, but I do mean intensity.

I have followed your posts as you "found running". You were very excited. But I don't remember you ever saying you were just lollygagging at your own pace. In every post I can remember, you seem to be concerned with pace. I think this is where you go wrong. Pace should not be important when you are building base miles. Pace and min per mile and speed training and fartlek and all that running stuff should only come into play when you have built up a very good running base.

I have Jeff Galloways running book. Do you have any running books to refer to?? Maybe you should invest in one, they explain a lot.

Good Luck and I am sorry to monopolize a post intended for Cathe. I just felt I had some good pointers...

Janice

Hi Yen,

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat! I joined a running group too and they all run pretty fast. I knew right from the start that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them so I just go at my own 'fast' pace when we meet at the track for speedwork. I just watch them zoom by and realize that some day I may be there just not right now. I find it encouraging to run with them because most of my runs are solo.

Stay with the group but go at your own pace. Hillwork, fartek training, interval training etc. will help get you there. And Janice is right when she says that that's all they do is run. Two of the women in my group either work from home (her husband owns his own constuction company and she does the bookkeeping) or is a stay at home mom (she takes her little one running with her). These two make plans all the time to meet during the week for their long runs! If I weren't a working mother I could train more but I realize I have responsibilities that they do not and that it will take me a little longer to reach the level they're at. But I'm comfortable with that! :)

So go easy on your self and use the group for motivation! Be sure to get in plenty of stretching and do your weight training (or even exercises just using your body weight setting the dumbbells and barbell aside).

Take care and keep up the good work!
Angie

Thank you Janice.

I will take your advice. I do run slower when I run on my own though. I take my time and use hills rather than speed.

Just one more thing though. You mentioned weight training. I am currently using the PS series and CM. I did start with MIS and PS 3 times a week, but I recently acquired CM and like that a lot. My routine at the moment is:

CM x 1,
PS Upper Body x 1,
PS Legs x 1 and
running x 2 (or 1 depending how painful my legs are)

I am not going to put which days I do it on because it depends on my mood - I tend to do it when I can rather than stick to a rigid schedule.

Do you think PS series is a little too heavy to combine with running? Should I stick to more light weights like you mentioned or is this rotation OK? And have you ever combined running with weight training after? I thought I might do a light run/walk and PS Legs with lighter weight than usual (otherwise I would miss PS Legs for this week).

Yen

Hello Angie,

Oh yes, I intend to stick with the group. They are very motivational. It's also for the social side of it that I joined - it means I can meet people in my area.

I have improved quite a bit since I joined and I am very happy with my progress.

Yen

On the weekends sometimes we go for long hikes or runs appox. 6 miles long. If I do this, usually I do not weight train after. I am going for greater strength gains, not so much endurance with the legs, so working my legs after they had been massacred by a run would not make sense. However, going lighter would be best, but realize that you will not gain strength from this, only endurance (which you acheived anyway running:)

I am a firm beleiver in training for strength as opposed to endurance. As long as you have some long duration cardio in your routine, your legs are getting enough endurance. BUT the power and strength you develop from heavier weights will help you run faster. However, the added muscle may slow you down (we can't have it all!!)

You are sensible in that lighter weights will take less out of you, so if recovery is seeming to be a problem, then yes, lighter is probably better while you want to concentrate on speeding up. Or you could have heavy lifting weeks with less running and then weeks with lighter weights more running. See what I mean??

Try to get IMAX. It is well worth the money and will help develop power in your legs. Do you think this is your problem? Lack of adequate leg strength? You may have an imbalance somewhere, causing discomfort. Like me, I get shin splints. I have to really warm up good and then start stretching before I can go all out. My calves are very big and powerful, without really trying I automatically have an imbalace. The front of my legs (soleus) is not as strong. While it is strong, mind you, it is not AS STRONG. While I can work to make the fronts of my legs stronger, they will never get as big as my calves. Genetics, mostly.

Your rotation looks good, but I am having a hard time understanding your leg pain if you only do cardio twice per week. Realize, CM always gives me problems, impact wise. More so than IMAX. Can you explain the types of pain you experience??

Janice

Hello Janice,

I have IMAX, but I haven't used it for a while because of the running I do on Tuesday and maybe another one on the weekend (if not running then it might BM or CM), so that is my two cardios and 3 weights per week with PS. I have been doing PS regularly 2 x per week and running 1 x per week without fail. However, because I am trying to fit in 3 weights per week, I find that IMAX doesn't fit in sometimes. For instance, sometimes I find it easier to combine cardio and weights in one day so prefer to do BM or CM. I never stick to a routine because it depends on what I did the day before. For example, I might say I will do MIS on Monday, but if I did PS Legs on Sunday then Monday has to change to lighter weights or pure cardio (my rule is never lift heavy weights 2 days consecutively). Also, because I try to run 2 x a week I can't really fit IMAX in sometimes.

Last week's workout was like this:

Mon: rest (just couldn't be bothered to do anything - it's TTOTM)
Tues: supposed to run, but it was too cold so I did CM instead
Weds: PS Upper Body
Thurs: nothing (should have been PS Legs, but TTOTM meant I couldnt' be bothered).
Fri: managed to run 4-5 miles.
Sat: nothing
Sun: PS Legs (had to get the Legs in otherwise I would have missed it this week).

So because of PS Legs tonight, I cannot do MIS, PH or BM tomorrow. It will either be CM or I will take your advice and do IMAX.

I am not going to write my rotation for next week, because I know it will not go to plan: I am terrible at being strict with myself. I must admit, one of the reasons I like working out at home is the flexibility it affords. I know I will never miss a session, I can chop and change according to my social calendar.

Your advice has been great! I will keep it and refer to it every so often. I really think it is something to do with the way I land and possibly the shoes, but at the moment I am happy just to be able to do 2 runs a week.

Thank you.

Yen

I think the leg pain comes because when I run, I run as hard as I can. I can run 6 miles easily - I have the energy, but maybe not used to the impact yet. I aim for time rather than distance - 1 hour is the norm.

Yen

Hi Yen!

What type of surface are you running on? Maybe that has something to do with the resulting pain. Are you on a walking/ running trail, the road, sand..... That might be helpful to Janice too. I am interested in what she has to say also.

Angie

I run on track (rubber) and roads. I have no problem running on a treadmill though, so I think it's a combination of hard surface and shoes.

Yen

How old are your shoes? Maybe your cushioning is worn down. I came across that problem recently - aching feet after running and guessed that my cushioning was gone. I was right!

And you could be trying to do too much too soon as someone else mentioned. Ease up on the running. You can still do the 6 miles just don't do them in an 'all out' fashion. Make it a long easy run instead. Slow down the pace and forget about time. If time is a big factor, take it easy and do how ever many miles you manage to do in your hour time slot!

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.