Risers

L

lynxeagle

Is there a rule of thumb for maximum step height? Should someone short use less height than a taller person? I am 5 feet and did not want to put stress on my knees.Thanks.

Re;Risers

I think the rule of thumb is whatever is comfortable for you. I know people who are only 5 feet and they do the 8" step. I think you just need to experiment and see what works best for you.

step height

Actually the rule of thumb is that when you place your foot on the step, the inside angle of your leg should not go beyond 90 degrees. Going beyond 90 degrees places unnecesary stress on the knees and hips.

OPPS!!!

DUH!!! I knew that. I shouldn't make comments in the morning. I don't think my brain kicks in until noon.

Sorry

Just a Caution

I always thought that the higher the bench, the better shape I was in. Heaven forbid I should do a step class in front of all my peers at the club and use only one riser !!! By the way, I'm 5'2".

Well, after years of high impact aerobics, all my poor knees needed was a too-high step! Ouch. Now I never go above one riser and sometimes use only the bench itself. I find that I get just as good of a workout - with less injuries.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help and input. I really appreciate it.
Jackie

Thanks for Asking This Question

I am 4'11" and I use no risers. I felt like and amateur at first for not useing any risers but after 8 years, I still don't use any. I work up a great sweat and my legs feel strong and toned. I tried Cathe's rule of thumb and I'm in the ball park.

D.

Step Risers

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-00 AT 10:40AM (EST)</font></center>

You know, it really depends for me, on the day at hand. Some days I use 8" for the entire workout, sometimes I do part on 8" and then take the risers down to 6", other days I use only 6". I am 5" tall (short) too. For me, it all has to do with my circadian rhythm and energy level on a particular day. Some days 8" barely challenges me, others it's all I can do to get through a workout with 6".

I do feel, however, that Cathe's workouts are very challenging if one never uses more than a 6" riser height.
happy.gif

Amazing

You must be amazing. I don't ever think I could do Cathe's workout with 8" risers.

Riser Height

I think the key to doing Cathe's workouts with a high step is to push yourself a little further each workout. For instance, I would go a little past what I thought I'd be able to do with 8" and then bring it down to 6". Boy, does 6" feel like a relief when you do that
happy.gif
And please keep in mind that I do not use an 8" riser every workout.

I'll tell you who amazes me -- Cathe and her cast -- especially Rhonda. Lord, they are fit!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.