Retracted Scapular/Shoulders

ss's girl

Hi,

I just got the S&H series so I am sure this questions has been asked but if someone could answer me I would appreciate it.

What does Cathe mean when she says to retract your scapular or retratct your shoulders. I did Triceps and Biceps yesterday and I thought I was retracting my shoulders but today my lats are sore! (along aith my triceps!!)

Also, what order does everyone do the tapes.

Cathe, thanks again for the most challenging tapes I have ever worked with! The S&H series are killer!!!

Actually, you do use your lats somewhat when retracting the shoulders. I always think of shoulder retraction as taking a "superhero" pose. When standing with your hands on your hips (à la "Wonder Woman") roll your shoulders back and down and keep your chest up--voilà the "super hero" pose, with scapular retraction.

Hi SS'S! Thats a great visula for a standing retraction. For a bent over retraction, bend over to a flat table top position and let your arms hang down naturally at your sides. Now do a shrug, pulling your shoulders up toward the ceiling, keeping your back completely flat and you have a bent over scapular retraction. For a lying scapular retraction, lie on a bench face up and send your arms straight up toward the ceiling. Now bring the back of your shoulders down so that they make contact and press downward into the bench and you have your lying scapular retraction.

Thanks Cathe!

So my form must have been incorrect if my lats were sore from trying to "retract" during the triceps routine.

Thanks again-good luck with the little one!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.