Recovery for stroke victim

AmyT

Hi Cathe!

I wasn't sure if you would feel comfortable answering these questions, but I thought I would give it a shot since I really value your opinion.

I'm trying to help my mother, who is 64, recover from a stroke that happened a couple of years. She is confined to a wheelchair, with movement in her right leg, but very little in the left leg. We're trying to help her build upper strength, so that she can eventually transfer herself in and out of the wheelchair.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on specific weight lifting exercises to do in a wheelchair. Also I was wondering if the rest day period should still apply... we have done some work which really tires her out, but she is never sore the next day.

In case you are wondering, she has been in physical therapy, but only can have so many visits a year (insurance company). When in therapy, they do not have her lifting weights anyway.

I guess I am babbling on, but I would like to help her get as strong as possible. If anyone else out there has any advice, I would love to hear it
happy.gif

Thanks in advance!

Sit & Be Fit

This series is shown on some PBS stations and would be just perfect for your mother. You can also order their tapes from www.collagevideo.com.

I'm not a professional, but I would stop when your mother gets tired. Your muscles improve even if you don't get sore.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.