RE: New Workouts - PLEASE

NY25

Cathlete
Cathe,
I was just reading your blog regarding the new workouts - they look fun and I'm excited to receive them this fall. One request, however:
I noticed in the Body Max description regarding the step cardio sequences you indicate "no breakdown." That's fine, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - could you include a chapter on the disc for those of us not familiar with your previous step workouts, that does break down the sequences. I've almost injured myself slipping off or tripping over the step while trying to watch/learn and do the moves, simultaneously. My IMAX 2 sits at the bottom of the pile, never used, because attempting to "learn" the sequences at full speed causes me to feel like flinging the DVD out my 10th floor window like a frisbee. I know others have posted this similar request before, so I'm not the only one who will benefit from this added feature.
(all you step veterans - I know you don't think this is needed, but you don't have to watch that chapter if you don't want to - that's why it's a chapter).
Cathe - Thank you for your consideration and keep up the great work!!!

Just a suggestion -

Have you tried watching the workout before attempting to participate? It is actually very benefitual if you watch the whole workout all the way through.

Also before attempting IMAX2 it would be helpful if you can get down the moves of other workouts, because some of IMAX2 is like other workouts, and the areas that are not similar you can pick up on pretty easy if you are familiar with Cahte's moves. It took awhile before I could pick up IMAX2, but I watched it 2 times all the way through and when I went to attempt it for the first time I didn't attempt to complete the workout, what I did was watch the first 2 rounds of each step routine then join in for the next 4, same with the blasts. Even though I had watch the workout twice all the way through the third time I was still watching, but participating at the same time.

Step Blast is a good workout in understanding Cathe's moves, but in every work out she is great at queing what is coming up next.

I have been working out with Cathe for over 6 years now, WOW that seems like a long time, but with that said, when I get a new workout I still watch all of them all the way through even though I understand Cathe's steps, because it helps me understand the workout that much better, and I have less down or wasited time spent trying to figure out the routine while attempting the workout.

These are just suggestions.

I, too, just approach a new workout knowing that I have to be extra patient and that it is going to be a bit frustrating. I actually like that, though, because I've noticed that in addition to exercising my body and making it stronger, working out exercises my patience and makes it stronger. I need to be patient with the workout, and with myself, and over the years (of exercising with anyone in any style) I've gotten much better at learning workouts. I just rewind as much as I need to, and slowly mimic moves on the floor before I add the step for the parts I consider the most challenging. Because of this I have gotten much more adept at figuring out which side of the step the folks on the T.V. are on, and I pick things up much quicker now because in the beginning I practiced picking things up on my own so much. It gets less and less overwhelming the more and more you do it, just like the exercising itself does.
If these workouts are chaptered that might make it easier for you, but definitely give IMAX 2 another chance - perhaps tac learning one step segment after doing a workout you're comfortable with until you have learned them all. You won't regret it!!
It's a steap learning curve, but once you've put some stuff together, it all gets easier.
Good luck and Happy Stepping!!!!!

I think that a short chapter breaking down some of the harder moves, and maybe some tricky transitions, would be beneficial. As NY25 says, those who don't want/need to watch it don't have to, and it would make the workouts more user-friendly for those not familiar with Cathe's choreography (and is a good alternative to slowing down the workout to break down some moves).

Some earlier Cathe workouts had this feature, so it's not like it hasn't been done before.

We're not planning on doing this on our new DVDs, but you very well may see something like this on our website in the very near future. This is a new part of our website that we’ve been working on for over 6 months that you have not seen yet, but soon you will. A huge advantage that we have by owning our own studio is we can film whenever and whatever we want. We plan on using our website and studio to help educate our customers with high quality video tutorials. This will all be free when it launches. We will have more on this later, but for now our focus is the 4 new workouts.:)

That's a fantastic idea!! I can't wait to see all the new changes you're planning. It sounds like you've been working hard!:)

>We're not planning on doing this on our new DVDs, but you
>very well may see something like this on our website in the
>very near future. .. We plan on using our website and studio to help educate our customers with high quality video tutorials.

Sounds like a great idea!
I was thinking about it, and have a couple of suggestions (you might have already thought of these yourselves).

1) since moves are often used in more than one workout, if you have a tutorial for a specific tricky move (ie: ricochets), you could have a list of workouts, with a link to various tutorials listed with the name of the workout (ie: all workouts that contained the ricochet move would have a link to the one tutorial).

2) in addition to teaching the move, on pivoty and complex moves especially, show an alternate move that people who don't like pivots or torquey moves could do (I have one for ricochets that I would be glad to share;-) )

What great news, Cathe :)! As a step-impaired klutz, I would greatly appreciate the tutorial!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.