Question for Cathe

StaceyD

I'm not sure if anyone really knows the answer to this, but I thought if anyone did, it would definitely be you!

I am just starting my 9th month of pregnancy and have been alternating a couple of the same step tapes (on a 6" board). They were the tapes that were my favorites before becoming pregnant, and were used more frequently in my rotation thereby becoming easier to me than some of the others since muscles have memory. As I got further along, I started eliminating the ones that felt harder for me, and now I pretty much alternate Step Works and Power Max (section 2 & 3 only) with 4 mile walks, the recumbant bike, and light toning.

My heart rate still gets into the advanced level for my age, and I still feel as if I'm getting a great workout, but I am wondering if I am burning fewer calories than I would if I were using a tape that feels harder/is new to me.

It's not going to make me exercise to different tapes at this point. I was merely curious in how that might affect the calorie burning aspects of cardio, etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Stacey! Oh, you're so close now. I am really excited for you.

As for your questions. Are you asking them from a pregnancy stand point or for anyone in general. The reason that I ask is because the calorie burning process is so different when you are pregnant. During pregnancy, your body uses up a lot of energy to create that special person inside of you. At different times throughout your pregnancy your body will be drawing from its energy stores and burning extra calories whether you are working out or not. There are just so many hormonal changes, as well as mental and physical changes occuring, that there is no way to know how your body is exactly responding calorie for calorie during your exercise workouts.

Take care and best of luck to you in the exciting days ahead!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.