Question about glute raises in GS Legs

munchkin928

Cathlete
I've really been enjoying the GS Legs workout, although I'm a beginner/intermediate so I'm working my way up on some of the exercises. I had a question about the glute raises though - whenever I do this move, I feel it in my thighs and glutes, but I also feel it a lot in my lower back. The pain never lasts past the workout, so it's not a huge concern, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I don't have a high step, so I use a step stool that is 11 1/2 inches tall to put my leg on (I'm 5'2"). I also pushed the step stool up against my couch, because in previous workouts it was sort of walking away from me and I thought maybe that was the source of the back pain. I also know that my core could use some strengthening - I definitely can't handle all of Cathe's core workouts just yet, so maybe that's a contributing factor. I also feel the roll ins/outs which immediately follow the glute raises in my lower back, but I can't tell if that's just because it's already fatigued.

Anyways, if Cathe or anyone else has any form pointers or advice for me I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Needing to continue developing strength in your core would definitely lead to a fatiguing effect in the back during some of these floor exercises. However, it is wrong to think that your muscle groups exist in isolation to each other. Your lower back connects to your glutes so it is perfectly normal for you to feel some of the fatigue in your lower back. I do also with glute and hamstring work. I expect I will continue to do so as I am recovering from an injury and am currently working on strengthening all these areas whose original weakness lead t the injury. As long as you are still primarily fatiguing the target muscle group (hamstrings/glutes) and the fatigue in the lower bakc disappears quite quickly after the workout, then I don't see you have anything to be worried about.

Clare

Try holding your core snug throughout the movement (like bracing for a punch to the abs).

Also try pushing through different parts of the foot.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have to admit that I think I feel the exercise more in my back than in my glute and hamstring, although it's sort of hard to tell. I think a lot of my problem might be that I'm pushing from the wrong angle - I tend to push 'away' from myself (with my foot at the very edge of the step) because pushing straight down is very difficult. However, maybe it's just hard because my legs are so fried by that point. I'll definitely work on holding my core tight and maybe try pushing more straight down.

You might try doing the floorwork right after the warm up, then doing the standing legs section. You'll still have energy for the standing legs work because it involves the quads so much, a larger muscle group. The floorwork will then serve you as a fabulous pre-fatiguing exercise for the squats, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

Clare

Clare - That's a good idea. I'll end up in a heap when I try to do those slow lunges though! :) Thanks again for your input.

Me, too!

I get lower-back discomfort in the floor portion of GS Legs, too. I also have to be careful on deadlifts because it's the same ache. It's definitely not a good ache (as in, you're working hard), but for me, it's a warning sign. I sometimes have to stop early and stretch my lower back a little.

It's important to know the difference between progress pain and potential injury pain. For example, I was in the second segment of Cardio Fusion (which I love), doing jump ropes around the world. I felt a cramp in my right calf, which I completely ignored. A minute later, I was down with a torn calf muscle and didn't work out again for many weeks. :(

I've learned my lesson.

Gradually work your way up!

I've really been enjoying the GS Legs workout, although I'm a beginner/intermediate so I'm working my way up on some of the exercises. I had a question about the glute raises though - whenever I do this move, I feel it in my thighs and glutes, but I also feel it a lot in my lower back. The pain never lasts past the workout, so it's not a huge concern, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I don't have a high step, so I use a step stool that is 11 1/2 inches tall to put my leg on (I'm 5'2"). I also pushed the step stool up against my couch, because in previous workouts it was sort of walking away from me and I thought maybe that was the source of the back pain. I also know that my core could use some strengthening - I definitely can't handle all of Cathe's core workouts just yet, so maybe that's a contributing factor. I also feel the roll ins/outs which immediately follow the glute raises in my lower back, but I can't tell if that's just because it's already fatigued.

Anyways, if Cathe or anyone else has any form pointers or advice for me I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Hi Munchkin! It sounds like a combination of needing to start with your leg at a lower height and reducing the exercise time while you gradually develop your core strength and build up muscle endurance. If you try to do too much too soon, your weaker areas will fatique quickly causing you to feel discomfort and strain. Pushing past this will most likely cause you to lose your form as a result of compensating and shifting your weight to gain assistance from surrounding muscles.

It is better to ease into the exercises and let the body adapt gradually. Once you develop basic strength and get acclimated you will find that you can hold your body up longer without premature fatigue. You can also start adding height and more reps at this time.

Also, certain conditions, such as lordosis (sway back), can put more stress on your low back. I have this and I get low back discomfort sooner than most on many exercises of this nature because of the excessive curve in my back.

Just some things to think about.

Good luck and keep training wisely.

Oh Cathe, thank you so much! I have a shorter step and I think that will help tremendously! I know it'll be harder in the workout, but when I did a couple of practice reps the shorter step was much more comfortable and I felt like I was able to 'drive' with my hamstring and glute more effectively. I think that adjustment will really help me out a lot. I'll also start prioritizing core workouts a little more.

Thanks also for the reminder to take things slow. I've been very careful over the last few weeks, but I think I got a little over-excited this week because I made some big strength gains - I was finally able to complete 15 rep low-ends and felt like superwoman!

Thanks for answering my question and for all great workouts you've put into my living room!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.