Question about crunches

lwseymour

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and fans,
I am having a very difficult time doing reverse crunches. I do the PS series once a week and I also throw in the ab portion of Bodymax once or twice a week. I am able to do all of the ab exercises in the above tapes, except the reverse crunches. I know that I shouldn't rock with my legs or use momentum, but I simply can't make my pelvis lift up toward the ceiling. I feel like my abs are strong enough for the exercise; it seems like there is another problem other than weakness that is causing it. Is it a difficult exercise to master for anyone else or are my abs just too weak? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

It's been hard for me

...but I just try to concentrate on the contraction even if it doesn't feel like I'm lifting by body at all. I try to focus on moving directly up as well. I also leave out using the upper body until I feel like I've gotten a pretty good handle on contracting the lower abs. Sometimes during an ab routine, I never us my upper body (for the reverse crunch that is) and sometimes I can start off using it. My advice is just to take it slowly. It will come, slowly but surely
happy.gif

Alli
happy.gif

reverse crunches

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-00 AT 05:16PM (EST)</font></center>

Lisa, I have the same problem! I just do not have enough strength in my lower abs to do the reverse crunches without momentum . Worse, when I try, my lower back hurts like heck!!

What I've been doing instead of the reverse crunches is the "dead bug" from Keli Roberts's ab section on Ultimate Step (they also do this on BodyPump). Basically you have your legs at a 90 degree angle with your feet up in the air, and you alternate taking a foot down while keeping the other in the air *without* your torso moving. I can really feel this in the lower abs and hopefully it will build strength there so I can eventually do the reverse crunches!

Thanks Jennifer2 and Alli

I will try just focusing on the contraction for now, and will also give those dead bug lifts a try too in hopes of strengthening that area.
Thanks for both of your responses!

a couple of thoughts

Hi Lisa,
Reverse crunches are tough especially done with correct form. I second the idea of only attempting reverse crunches without the upper body, then try doing them with your upper body held up in a static position. Practice doing reverse crunches when you're well rested not necessarily at the end of a tape when you're tired. Really concentrate on using your abs only to tilt your pelvis to lift your lower body. I'd also like to recommend the ab tape, Ab Attack by Trish Muse. I could tell improvements in form doing reverse crunches after doing this tape.
Good luck,
Kay

Tough!

Reverse crunches can be tough. I remember how hard they were to do when I first did them back with Cher's exercise tape. I think my lower body moved maybe .0002 centimeter at first! Buy they do get better. One idea, try holding a basket ball size ball between your knees and lifting it toward the ceiling. I find sometimes that it's easier to lift my lower abs if I concentrate on lifting something other than my abs (got that
wink.gif
). Though don't goo too heavy on the ball or you'll have too much resistance.

Don't laugh, but.........

I just bought a 10-dollar-version of those "ab wheels" the other day at the local sporting goods store. Brought it home and was just messing around with it to show dh how to use it....I wasn't even "working out", I just did maybe 5 reps with it, then we chatted some, and then I did maybe 5 more, and then put it away.

WELL!!! That was on Friday night, and it is now Monday morning, and I can still feel my lower abs! Sat. and Sun., my lower abs were more sore than they have ever been from doing any reverse crunches of any kind! Just from doing those few reps with that thing!!!

So it is now my mission to spread the word that those silly looking ab wheels things really do work the lower abs GOOD!

Just my .02, "take it or leave it, right?"
LOL!---Debbie

Not laughing Debbie!

I'm fascinated by the infomercials for those wheels. Should they be called "workout by rolling plank position"? I especially liked the one advertised by the ice skaters, those names escape me at the moment, that allow you to go down to your elbows. Hmmm.
Kay

ab wheels

What are ab wheels? I haven't seen the informercials for them... Are they similar to those ab rollers from a few years ago?

ab wheels

Very basically, they are a wheel with a pole stuck thru the middle so that you can hold on to the pole on either side of the wheel, and then starting on your knees, roll forward and back...it really works the abs. There are more fancy (and more expensive) types available, but this is the very basic and very inexpensive one that I got.
Debbie

Hi Lisa!

I can see that you have already gotten great advice. But I also wanted to comment that if you are having trouble lifting with these that you do need to work your way up to them slowly. Also, be sure that you have a mat under you.

Remember that even attempting to do the pelvic lift(whether your body lifts up or not) is already contracting the low abs. So don't worry if your body is not leaving the floor. The contraction in the attempt alone is a great enough to challenge to your low abs. Eventually you will build up more strength and your body will lift up a little bit. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.