Question about article on afterburn/diet

murfmom

Cathlete
From your article, it sounds like you recommend eating before working out. I'm currently getting up at 4:30 so I can drink a cup of coffee and wake up a little, then working out at 5am. I don't think I could stomach so much as a smoothie at 4:30 in the morning, and if I wait until later I may not be able to work out at all. I know I'm not alone. Any advice for early morning exercisers?

Murfmom: Not cathy, but I have the same predicament. Up at 5:10 to workout, and just cannot stomach food that early. I asked my nutritionist about it, and basically what he told me was that short cardio sessions are OK fasted (not drinking water/electrolytes to stay hydrated.) I drink a preworkout caffeine supplement and a BCAA/Electrolyte drink during and post workout, and he tells me that is sufficient for my needs.

Of course, his advice is specific to my needs.

Good question! I also workout very early and have never been able to stomach food first thing in the morning. I know its not great and we should eat.....I simply can't do it. I would like some guidance too! Thanks for the question!

I have coffee with a lot of 1% milk in it and my dietician said that helps with the workout since I don't have time to eat before I exercise either.

Lisa

I, also, have been an early morning person for years. These days, it is up at 4:45 to work out by 5 - so no way is there time for anything. Even a bite of banana makes me ill halfway through the workout. Like the pp, I just have 1% milk in my tea that I sip throughout my workout. I don't know *shrugs shoulders* I feel like while it may not be the best, it is what works for me.

I also am up at 4:45 to work out by 5:00 with no extra time to eat and digest beforehand. It's already difficult to wake up that early. I have tried a 1/2 a protein shake in the past but always feel sick during workout. Just what I'm used to and what works for me.

I have the same problem. I get up at 4am and I work out immediatetly because I still have to shower, eat breakfast and get ready for work. No time to have another meal and let it set on my stomach long enough to not throw it up in the middle of the workout. There is no way I could Tabatacise with food on my stomach. I don't even know how some of you drink coffee then workout! I have a bottle of water that I drink throughout a workout and that's it.

but I have been doing this for 10+ years without issue and I plan to keep doing it.

Last edited:
There is no way I could Tabatacise with food on my stomach. I don't even know how some of QUOTE]

I relate to this. I can not eat anything before doing Hiit, Certainly not before 7 or 8 o'clock. I am travelling now and work out at 5am and I do take breakfast before going to work at 7.

Before working out you can have a yoghurt, cottage cheese, plant smoothies, boiled egg....

I have been woring out without eating early morning and it worked fine for me.

Love the gut bomb reference because that's how it feels! I have some coffee and 2 glasses of water before I work out and water during the work out. The hydration helps early in the morning and is needed after 8 hours of sleep.

I did read somewhere that a handful of slivered almonds before a workout gives you energy during a workout. It's sustained because it's slowly digested. I tried it once and it didn't bother my stomach and it did seem to provide a little energy. Things are so rushed around here in the morning that I can't seem to remember to do it all the time. I think I read that on Cathe's blog about the almonds.

I tried eating breakfast once before a workout and almost lost it so I haven't tried that again. Try lying over a stability ball with food in your stomach! Not a good combination.

Susan:)

Thanks everyone! Nice to know I'm not alone. I feel like the value in terms of consistency that comes with working out first thing in the morning far outweighs any benefit I might get from eating, waiting an hour or two, and then working out. Any time I try to work out later in the day, life always interferes.

A while ago KCM said she puts a splash of OJ in her water bottle to give it some flavor and a bit of energy boost.

I don't do well eating before a workout either.

I'm awake and working out within 10 minutes or so. I do manage to eat 1/4 of a small banana and guzzle 1 litre of water before, then another 750- 1litre during my workout, especially if i'm spinning. Don't ask how I don't throw up but i don't! I couldn't have a real breakfast though prior to exercising.
I sure wish Cathe was back on the fourms :(, i know she's been busy...
Jamie

I am also an early-riser...up at 4am and warming up by 4:10am. Sometimes, if I'm feeling really sluggish, I throw a scoop of this into my water: Amazing Grass' Green Superfood Energy Powder (the green container). Let me make clear that I eat a whole-foods diet and I'm not a fan of mysterious protein powders and such. This Green Superfood powder is only 30 calories, contains 0g of sugar, 2g of protein, and a gazillion mg of "good stuff". I find the cheapest prices via Vitacost.com. Check it out at that website and you can see a detailed list of ingredients. It's lemon-lime flavor and I'll warn you, the taste may take some time getting used to but I guess that's due to the lack of artificial flavoring. Check it out...it may help you get through Tabatacise when you're half-asleep! :)

For all you am excercisers

I sometimes go back and forth between excercising in the AM and PM. The great thing about the AM is that there are no interruptions and it's done out of the way. You don't worry about it for the rest of the day. However, because it's so early (400am) I feel like I have less endurance/strength and my heart rate also elevates more quickly in the early AM. When I workout in the later in the day I can lift a little heavier and go a little longer with my cardio.

Does this happen to anybody else??

I actually workout twice a day 4 days a week--always in the AM 6-7 days a week and in the PM 4-5 days a week. I never miss the AM workouts but because of life the PM workouts sometimes get sidetracked. Anyways, I always have more strength, stamina and endurance in the AM than I do in the PM. And I am one of those up at 4am who cannot eat b4 a workout.

I agree with you Wonderwoman. I workout in the am, so that I don't have to think about it the rest of the day. However, that being said, it is easier for me to get myself warmed up and ready to go in the afternoon. Workouts that usually kick my behind, are much more tolerable in the afternoon, and I lift heavier in the afternoon as well. Not even necessarily the afternoon. Just some time to get these bones moving. But, when you work outside the home, you grab your time when you can.

Last edited:
I work out in the morning and I only sip a bit of water throughout workout. If I do more than that, I am very aware of the liquid sloshing around in my belly when I am jumping around. It bugs me.
When I workout in the evening, I don't notice any sloshing of anything in there. And I DO seem to have more capabilities in the evening. BUT, I have to be a morning workout person. If i waited, there are no guarantees that the workout would get done... either I hit the wall of exhaustion or too much other stuff that takes priority (3 kiddos).

Ladies I wish to do exercises early in the morning but is 7:30am and I still sleeping and taired, how everyone do it, wath time you goin to sleep, every nigth I'm goin to sleep at 11:30 to 12:00. Give me the secret?:rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.