Quarter Deadlifts and PS Legs

K

KHB

I know you guys will think I am behind the times, but I just got my first Cathe tape. I had been too intimidated by comments of her being "killer" and incredibly dancy and fast. I thought a strength tape would be a good introduction.

I have never done quarter deadlifts before this tape, but I think my form is right. I did it in front of a mirror and my form was like Cathe's. However, I do not feel it in my hamstrings; I feel it in my lower back. I have done this tape 3 times and each time, my lower back was sore the next day. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

Side note: I love how Cathe says to hold on to the leg I just worked when stretching between floor work to be certain I work the other leg. My muscles are so fatigued at that point -- she does not need to worry that I will work the same leg twice!

DeadLifts

Hi,
This is my favorite exercise for legs. I just love those deadlifts! My advice (at least what works for me ) is to make sure you're not coming all the way straight-up during the deadlift (which will activate more of the back muscles). I bring the barbell about 4 inches above my knees and back down until I feel a nice stretch in my hamstrings. In addition, I make sure to really tighten my gluteus muscles to bring the weight back up. Since this is probably a new exercise for you, I am sure that you will feel it in your back for a while. Your back muscles are used to assist in the movement to a certain extent. The goal is learn how to activate the hamstring muscles more than the back. I think everyone is different and practice will make perfect.
I hope this helps and goodluck!
Susan

from article in M&F Hers...

Romanian Deadlift

Muscles worked: Hamstrings, low back, glutes

Grasp a barbell with an overhand grip and stand with your feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent. Pull your shoulders back and lift your chest, maintaining a slightly exaggerated curve in your back. Bend at the hips as if you were a jackknife, keeping your focus forward, your back flat and your knees still, the bar traveling close to your legs. Descend until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings. Pause a moment at the bottom before rising, and contract hard through your glutes and hamstrings as you lift the weight.

dead lifts suggestion

Try using a lower amount of weight. You will always use some of your lower back muscles in this exercise, and since this is such a key "form" exercise I would not risk hurting yourself until your lower back is a little stronger. I found that I could execute the exercise a whole lot better and felt it more in my hamstrings and glutes ( and less in my back) when I decreased the weight on my barbell.
Good luck!

You may be right!

Thanks, Lynn. I'll try this next time I do the tape. Perhaps my back has to pitch in to help if my weight is too heavy.

How heavy do you all go with this exercise?

Good point

Susan,

The first time I did the tape I definitely made the mistake of coming straight up. I corrected that the last two times I did it, but thanks for the reminder to carefully watch how far up I come!

I haven't been concentrating on my glutes during it. I'm going to take that advice and Lynn's comment about decreasing my weight next time I do it.

Thanks!

How much weight to use?

Hi there-
I would try cutting down about 30% for starters and see how that feels. I am recovering from a foot injury but prefoot injury I was using about 55 lbs in the squat section. (I can't believe I used to go that heavy...it seems like eons ago.) But on the dead lifts I went down to 35 lbs and it worked out pretty well.
Good Luck!

same here!

I have felt the same thing with those deadlifts and I found that the only thing that worked for me was standing on the step and dropping the weight low enough (keeping my low back flat) so that I did feel a stretch in the hamstring. I think it all depends on your flexibility as to how low you have to go to feel the stretch. It this sounds totally off track please let me know but it seems to work.

form

Quarter dead lifts are designed to work the low back and the hamstrings. It sounds as if you have mastered the low back part of the movement. Now, for your hamstrings you may need to go just a hair lower with your bar(especially if you are very flexible). Go down until you feel a good stretch in those hamstrings. Once you do, tighten your glutes, keep that bar close to your legs and pull up with focus and control. Good Luck!

Thanks!

Thank you, Cathe.

I'll go lower and concentrate on those glutes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.