Q on pumped forearms

EileenS

I'm relatively new to weight work (finally up to the PS series 1x per week :)) and now have hit a snag. Maybe Cathe or one of the "educated crowd" can help me.

I work out in the mornings, and have slowly added enough weight to get a bit pumped. The problem is that the "pumped" feeling takes a few hours to go away, especially in my forearms. Since my work is pretty much a keyboard kinda job, this is a real hassle. I can't type well when my forearms are still feeling the workout!

I'm not using a lot of weight yet (3 to 8 lbs. per hand) and feel like I could go heavier. I've tried stretching and light massage, but that hasn't been enough. It would be pretty tough to move my weight workouts to the evening, due to my schedule. I'm also extra cautious, since I have wrist tendon problems and don't want to aggravate anything.

Any pointers or ideas to get me in shape for typing after an upper body workout? Thanks!!

I used to work out before work when my job involved tissue culture. This meant dropping individual drops from a long pipette into wells barely larger than the dropper. The pipette wiggled all around because my arms were all twitchy from weight work. I had to move all upper body work to the evenings. I don't know if being in better shape will help you eventually, since once you get used to what you're doing you're supposed to increase the weight! :)You can always do cardio and leg work in the mornings. And you could do your entire upper body only once a week and move it to the weekend.

Thanks, gamber..

I was hoping for the miracle solution, but guess it won't happen ;-). At least I can be thankful that typing isn't as delicate as pipette work!

Hi Eileen-
I know what you are talking about in re to sore forearms. What has worked for me is try and keep my wrists straight. Don't let them bend back or curl forward.. I think that keeps them more in postion to let your upper body do the work and not your wrist.
Good luck!
Lyn

Hi Eileen! Its too bad that you still have that swelled sensation in your muscles during work. The intensity of this should dissipate over time but I know this doesn't help you right now. I want to suggest additional forearm exercises to help strengthen them but I also do not want to risk over stressing your wrist (many forearm exercises rely heavily on wrist use). Well, if over time the sensation doesn't go away, you just may have to consider an evening lifting schedule as inconvenient as it may be. Hopefully not:)!

Thanks!

Thanks Cathe and Lyn! I'll give both ideas a go -- my form may be imperfect ("may" ha, ha!), and I can easily start adding some forearm work to my regular wrist exercises. It may be slow going, but I know I'll get things to work out eventually!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.