Pushups...

katia7

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
How can I progress to doing pushups? I can do some on my knees, but not after doing other upper body work (I noticed you always do them at the end of the workout). How can I progress?
Thank you
Katia

Hi Katia,

I'm obviously not Cathe, but have been where you are. I started off by doing just one "big girl" pushup each time Cathe threw them at me. I would go down on my knees after that one. Every 2 weeks, I added one more. This has been going on for almost a year & I can now complete a full set of 12 pushups in PS CST & the second set I can do 6 before going to my knees.

Someone had suggested that I even try doing pushups more often & adding one "big girl" pushup every couple of days but I was feeling pressure in my shoulders doing that. So, it's another suggestion you could try but pay attention to your body.

Hope that helps you.

When I was buying more weights a few weeks ago, the guy in the fitness store talked me into buying the pushup bars. I don't remember which DVD's I've seen Cathe and crew using them, but I found they make a difference. My wrists don't hurt like they did when they were flat on the ground. I'm still on the bent-knee variety, but I'm doing 6-8 reps when Cathe does 12, not 4.
HTH

~Audrey:)

Another way to work up to doing all "big boy" push-ups is to first do as many as you can that way in good form (if it's only one, that's fine). Then, on subsequent repetitions, start with straight legs, lower yourself from the "big boy" position, then drop to your knees before pushing up. You will be working the negative (descending) part of the push-up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.