Pure Strength - Dumbells instead of Barbell?

cherylnb

Cathlete
I'm really enjoying the Pure Strength series, and I'm trying to interpret all the abbreviations in the posts from your fans so I can decide which videos to buy next!

My question is this: Since I'm short on space in the room I work out in, and since it is such a pain to change the weights on barbells, is it okay to use dumbells instead? Obviously, I'm not using very heavy weights yet(no more than 15 pound dumbells, so far). It seems like this would be a common question.

Thanks!

Hi Cheryl!

Dumbells are fine! It doesn't matter what weight you use as long as it's good for you! If you want to know what any of the abbreviations mean, please post and let us know. We will be glad to help you. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Hi Cheryl!

I, too, really enjoy the PS series. I do remember reading one of Cathe's posts that said using both barbells and dumbbells work your muscles in different ways which keeps them challenged. I can lift heavier with dumbbells but like the challenge the barbell gives me. If space is a problem, you can get a barbell that "breaks down" for easier storage. I got mine at WalMart (think it was about $20.00, brand name Bollinger) It's not as long as the one Cathe uses but the ends unscrew to make 2 dumbell bars. It works great for me. During my workout I keep the plates close by and it takes only a few seconds to change them (plus gives you an excuse to take a little longer "rest" ;-) ) But as Debbie said, work with what your comfortable with and go from there :)

Happy Lifting! :-jumpy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.