PS CST AND 10-10-10

meg512

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, just a quick question. My triceps are the absolute worst. I was wondering if it is ok to add the triceps portion of 10-10-10 to the end of CST to get more tricep work or would that be a wrong thing to do. I have seen other posts where you say that the tapes should be done exactly the way they are due to certain factors and didn't know if this would help or hinder my efforts. Thanks alot and have a wonderful day. Mary

Yes, Cathe....I'm interested in your opinion on this, too! I've read that the triceps and biceps have to be exercised with care and not overtrained. I fear that doing that much work with triceps would not be advisable. Please enlighten us, Wise One! :7

Me too!

I'd also like to know your thoughts. I am doing a CTX & PS rotation now combining the two. I am liking the effects of how this feels and starting to see some EXTRA definition. I am able to finish both tapes with good form, slightly lowering my weight from my "normal" at times. Thanks, Cathe!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hey HB??

Haven't heard that -- what's the rationale behind bis & tris needing a little extra care? Is it because of the forearm/wrist involvement?

Kathy S.

I'd read that if, for example, you are doing a series of bicep or tricep exercises to keep the total exercises to about 4, which I do if I'm doing three sets of everything. For chest, etc. I'll do more, like 5 or 6 different exercises.

Of course, Cathe's the expert here. I just wanted to verify what I'd read.

Limiting direct tricep/bicep work

I just read recently (don't ask me where, some magazine or book, I've been on a reading binge lately) that one should limit direct bicep and tricep work (ie: isolation work like bicep curls and tricep kickbacks) to limit stress on the elbow joint (and possibly to develop more functional strength). Instead, they (whoever they were!) recommend doing more heavy compound exercises (like chest presses, which involve the triceps, or tricep pushups, or back rows or pullups with your palms facing toward you, both of which involve the biceps). Basically any compound chest exercise will involve triceps (and front shoulder) and any compound back exercise will involve biceps. "They" unfortunately didn't say how many sets to limit the exercises to ;-(

Don't do more sets

You really don't need to do that many sets for triceps to get results. (GOSH, PS + CTX triceps would = about 14 sets. Ouch!) Instead of adding more and more work for these muscles (and possibly causing elbow/wrist problems), you should try doing your triceps work first in your weight workout. That way, you'll be fresh and able to go a little heavier and get more out of the workout.

Just a suggestion. I did this for shoulder work about a year and a half ago and I really got stronger in that muscle.

Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.