Prevention magazine's published recommendations dumping strength moves

medieval7

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe.
Did you hear about an article in Prevention (August 2005) that lists several strength/fitness moves they feel women should stop doing, stating they're either ineffective or even raise the chance of injury by performing them. The ones I'd like to bring to your attention, in particular, are:

Recommended we ditch: Ab crunches, since the ROM in a crunch is so limited. Instead they favor sit-ups with knees bent and arms crossed over the chest, stating these involved a greater ROM and so the abs work longer under tension and sit-ups also work hip flexors.

Recommended we ditch: Dumbbell flies, since they're "not functional for anything but giving a better bear hug," and less than perfect form can strain the shoulder joints. Instead, they favor stair push-ups, since they're "one of the best upper body toners." This one especially upset me, since I'm able to do pec flies with heavy weight and it gives me a feeling that I'm doing something good! They note that many women avoid push-ups because they're difficult, and so they advise using a step to start.

One that I was happy about, though, was their recommendation to ditch Upright Rows, since "standing straight up and pulling weights along your body is awkward and unnatural." Also, "lifting too high can also painfully impinge the shoulder and cause wrist pain." Instead, they favor Forward-Leaning Lateral Raises, since they target rear shoulder muscles more effectively than the upright row, and also target the often-overlooked rhomboid muscles.

Cathe, what is your opinion of these recommendations? I have faith in your knowledge and training and I would so very much appreciate your input here. I'm a newcomer to your workouts and began collecting them avidly, even Step, and I'm greatly impressed with your methods and style.

Susan G

I'd really like to hear Cathe's input on both this article and the NYT article asked about last week. Here's hoping she's on the site soon with some thoughts.

Lorrie

Hi Susan and Lorrie! I will get back to you with my thoughts. I have only had limited time to be on the forums the last two weeks and that is why I have been putting aside the more involved questions. Hang in there, I'll post asap, thanks, Cathe!

RE: Prevention magazine's published recommendations dum...

Hi Cathe,

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post as well as the NYT article post that I placed about a week ago.

There were some fantastic replies from members of this forum:) However, if you have time, perhaps you could combine your answer to both of these posts on the "Ask Cathe" forum.

Thank you for positively changing both my physical and mental state for the rest of my life!;)

Your most loyal fan ,
Karen:7

P.S. Would you consider another Cathe Roadtrip in the next 6 mos?

RE: Prevention magazine's published recommendations dum...

bumping. I too, would like to hear your reply.

Personally, I have strong abs, and I feel crunches still work for me. I still feel the burn after many of the crunch seqences in Cathe's workouts.

I also like doing Chest flies. They make me feel strong everytime I am able to raise my weights.

To me, several of these suggestions look like they are addressing people who only choose ONE exercise per body part. In that case, then push-ups would be more effective than pec flyes, since flyes are an isolation move.

On the other hand, quite a few people (including PTs) caution against doing upright rows because of the high risk of shoulder impingment.

Sorry to bug you, Cathe, but have you forgotten that several of us are eagerly waiting to hear your opinion on recent magazine advice as follows:

Did you hear about an article in Prevention (August 2005) that lists several strength/fitness moves they feel women should stop doing, stating they're either ineffective or even raise the chance of injury by performing them. The ones I'd like to bring to your attention, in particular, are:

Recommended we ditch: Ab crunches, since the ROM in a crunch is so limited. Instead they favor sit-ups with knees bent and arms crossed over the chest, stating these involved a greater ROM and so the abs work longer under tension and sit-ups also work hip flexors.

Recommended we ditch: Dumbbell flies, since they're "not functional for anything but giving a better bear hug," and less than perfect form can strain the shoulder joints. Instead, they favor stair push-ups, since they're "one of the best upper body toners." This one especially upset me, since I'm able to do pec flies with heavy weight and it gives me a feeling that I'm doing something good! They note that many women avoid push-ups because they're difficult, and so they advise using a step to start.

One that I was happy about, though, was their recommendation to ditch Upright Rows, since "standing straight up and pulling weights along your body is awkward and unnatural." Also, "lifting too high can also painfully impinge the shoulder and cause wrist pain." Instead, they favor Forward-Leaning Lateral Raises, since they target rear shoulder muscles more effectively than the upright row, and also target the often-overlooked rhomboid muscles.

Cathe, what is your opinion of these recommendations? I have faith in your knowledge and training and I would so very much appreciate your input here. I'm a newcomer to your workouts and began collecting them avidly, even Step, and I'm greatly impressed with your methods and style.

Susan G

Susan G

Cathe: Coming out of "lurkdom" to ask an additional question :) .

I understand the NASM is now taking a stance against doing plies. As an instructor put it: "..the new science shows that they really only encourage & create unnecessary compenstions of the ankles, hips & knees. These compensations...can create imbalanced pulls on the joints & eventually lead to injury. So very unnecessary!!! "

I am very anxious to hear your input on this and all the other exercises mentioned.

Thank you :) .

I would imagine that ANY exercise could potentially be harmful. Isn't that the risk we all take? I would imagine that if you don't feel any pain or extreme strain, then all of these are relatively safe. Also, I'm sure if you don't use the proper form, then risk of injury will increase. I think the article should have specified that these exercises could be dangerous to someone who has pain or discomfort when doing them. I've also read in some magazines that doing many yoga exercises are harmful as well which I thought was crazy. Anything could potentially be harmful and I think it's irresponsible to make blanket statements about certain exercises possibly scaring people away from them when they could be beneficial for them. I, for example, experience a lot of ankle pain when I do split squats. Once the pain starts, I must change legs because it is just too painful. Sometimes, I forgo the exercise altogether and just do some barbell squats instead. This does not mean that the exercise is bad or not useful for someone else. It just does not suit my body so I have to modify. I'm sure someone else would greatly benefit from doing a split squat and more power to them! Anyway, this is obviously just my 2 cents, I hope I haven't hijacked the thread.;)
Carolyn

bump to bring the other 3 year old thread down

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

now that's i've read this (was just bumping and not reading before!)

i'm interested in cathe's answer too!

the one thing i agree with... if you find push ups difficult... start with a step (or higher... like a counter-top!) i've read it's actually better to start with a counter/chair... and work your way down... on your toes... than to try to start on your knees and work up to "big girl" push ups!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.