Posterior Deltoid Development

Bobbi

Cathlete
I need advice. I have a hard time working my rear delts. I find the common exercises difficult to set up (i.e., I don't feel as if I am properly aligned when bent over). I just don't "feel" the "work" in the muscle. I have a definite muscle imbalance with the medial and anterior delts more defined than the posterior. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

I have a couple of ideas. First are you sitting down when you do the rear delt flies? I had to learn to do it while standing in a bent over position, as if I were doing bent over rows. Once I felt how to target the muscle I could do it sitting. Also, I just read an article on a fitness competitior who does hers one arm at a time. She's bent over as if doing one arm row or tricep kickbacks with her opposite hand supporting her, then she does the fly one arm at a time.
One more thing, what size weight do you use? I also had to lighten and do more reps then I built up my strength to go a little heavier.
I love working my rear delts, but they have a long ways to go from where I want them to be. Still, I am seeing improvements:)!
Well, I hope this helps ya'! Good Luck!!

Aimee

Aimee, this is something I have had a problem with too, & I appreciate your good advice. I will be trying your suggestions. Thanks again!

I tried the lighter weights/standing suggestion today, & I had a feeling for the movement for the first time! I tried 1 at a time which felt strange, but it may yet help if I get used to it. The standing/light weight helped A LOT. Thanks again!!

I'm glad it worked for ya:)!! That one helped me the most also. Isn't it amazing how just a shift in postion can alter the feel of the same movement? When Cathe said that about bringing your feet together in side lateral raises, I was like, "Yeah, right." But I really did feel a difference doing that too! Alrighty, good luck with those rear delts!! I'm glad I could help:)!

Aimee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.