pls. help with calories burned during CTX

justlucky

Hi Cathe,

Starting tomorrow, I have to go on a very strict diet that is being supervised by my doctor. I let him know that I work out 5x a week and tried to stress the fact that it is a fairly intense workout. My doctor said that on the days that I'm working out I can add another 150-200 calories onto my total meals for the day. That is only if I think I'm burning 150-200 calories daily during exercise.

Now, that's where my question lies. I'm doing the CTX series and it would seem to me that I'm burning more than 150-200 calories daily during workouts. But maybe I'm wrong.

I know this subject has been addressed before but I don't think anyone actually came up with a solid number. Hopefully Cathe or someone else out there can help me figure this out.

thanks in advance-
Pam S.

Hi Pam,

It is difficult to estimate how many calories are burnt during exercise. A heavier person burns more than a light person, it depends on which muscles are engaged, & obviously intensity is a big factor. I don't have CTX but know it's pretty darn intense.

Two hundred calories sounds low for CTX. "Fitness for Dummies" has a calorie chart for various activities. The numbers are for a 150# person:

Aerobic Dance: 513 calories for 45 min
Circuit Training: 576 calories for 45 min

Those look a little suspect don't they? Circuit training seems to burn a lot more calories than straight cardio.

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish appetite from hunger. If you find yourself always famished & find your workouts are exhausting then your calorie intake is too low.

Good luck. I hope this helped.
Debra

Hi, Pam. Here is a site which can help you calculate what you would burn based on your statistics:

http://k2.kirtland.cc.mi.us/~balbachl/calorie.htm

Please forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds here but I hope the diet is not too restrictive. That has been proven to be less effective than more moderate diets with exercise which you obviously do. You don't have to starve to drop pounds!

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how it goes!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif obbi

Hey Bobbi Kirtland community college(the link you posted is near my old stomping grounds, Houghton Lake Michigan.

Are you from around the that area?

Nikki

I am actually from SW Michigan, New Buffalo, on the Lake about 60 miles from Chicago. Where is Houghton Lake?

That's a great site....thanks for sharing it with us!:7

Hi Pam S! It is hard to know the exact calories burned but I would allow at least 300 calories for your workouts as long as you are giving it your all and you're in the higher end of your training zone during 85% of your workout. Good Luck!

Hi,

I just wanted to thank Cathe and everyone else for their input on this subject. I know it's tough to come up with a specific number but I'm armed with enough info now to make an educated "guesstimate".

I've been very thin my entire life until recently. I've just recently recovered from an illness that caused me to gain close to 30 lbs. in a very short amount of time. (TRAUMATIC!!!) Although it's only day 2 of my diet, I'm looking forward to being slim & trim again. I'll keep everyone posted.

thanks again-
Pam S.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.