Please Help Me With My Diet!!!!!!

farm girl

Hi everyone!! I hope ya'll are doing better then me. Here is whats wrong. I am 5'2 and weigh 107lbs. I workout at 5 am for an hour and 15 min. and run 3 miles during my lunch break, 6 days a week. I want to lose 3-6 lbs. For breakfest I eat a protein bar and low-fat chocolate milk, at about 9 am I eat a low fat bagel ( 250 cal., 1 gr. fat ) or fruit, for lunch about 12:45 I have a diet frozen dinner ( 300 cal., 7 gr. fat ), for supper about 5:30 I have a slim fast shake. I drink skim milk and gatoraid throughout the day. I try to drink water, but I hate it!!!
Here is what is make me so sad. I cannot lose any weight. I lossed about 2 lbs. But it took me 2 months to lose it. Do I workout to much, not eat enough, eat to much? I just do not know what to do. I have been so sad today. I guess I just need to tell some what was wrong. If anybody can help, I would love to hear what you have to say.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-27-01 AT 07:58PM (Est)[/font][p]Farm girl:

I am sorry that you are sad. I don't have any real answers for you except maybe some questions.

First, I really don't see fruits, veggies, or fiber in your diet. That could be part of your problem.

Second, are you drinking a lot of water. Especially with how much exercise you have been doing, you need at least 1 gallon a day.

Third, based on what you stated as a normal diet, it doesn't appear like you are getting enough calories. What is your daily caloric intake? It can't be more than 1200 from the looks of it, and if that is true, your body is holding on to every bit of energy it can...hence starvation mode.

Fourth, and I don't mean to sound...mean...but maybe your body doesn't need to lose those 3-6 pounds. 107 at 5'2 is pretty slim to begin with. What is your body fat? If your body fat is low and you're muscular, chances are that weight is muscle and not fat.

Just a couple of things to think about. I in no way am an expert. These are just some things that came to mind.

Farm Girl...don't be sad. Remember, fitness is not about the final destination. It is about the life long journey. Enjoy it!!!

Blessings,
Cynthia

Thanks for all the caring words. I guess I have what I want to look like in my head. I am vary self-conscience about how I look. I know I should not be but it is hard for me not to be. I will try to make some changes in my diet and in my workouts. I will post back later this week. Thanks again!!

child of God,
Robin

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-27-01 AT 11:15PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Robin! First, I want you to know that I know how you feel. I'm 5'1" and I weigh 107 also, well yesterday I weighed in at 106.5, but still.....
Anyway, I think you and I are in the same boat. It's not necessarly weight, but bodyfat. My bodyfat is like 20%. I hate it!! I want to be between 15-17%. I think you should up you calorie intake, especially with your activity level. Also, replace that SlimFast for a protein shake. MetRx Protein Plus in chocolate is the bomb!! Gets really thick!! Especially with a little frozen fruit added. I noticed that someone already metioned lack of fruits and veggies in your diet, so this is a good way to get a serving or two.
I'm self concious also, it's a hard cycle to break, but I'm trying. Try to concentrate Bodyfat numbers instead of scale numbers and see if that helps.
Best of Luck!!

Aimee

Hi Robin,

I have to agree strongly with what has already been said here. You are simply not eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you are doing. And you need to get those veggies & fruits & whole grains in! I was never a big water drinker either, but I taught myself to drink it & now I crave it. Give it a shot!

When you talk about your workouts, it is unclear to me if you are doing strength training in the mornings or cardio? Hopefully strength, since you are doing plenty of cardio!

I think your energy & dedication is amazing. We all have issues with our bodies, unfortunately that seems to be a part of life here in the good old USA. We all understand how you feel. I have a lot more weight to lose than you, but I know the feelings of insecurity are the same whether it's 5 lbs. or 50.

You hang in there girl, you'll be fine! Stay with this forum, these people are amazingly supportive & knowledgable. I think we were very lucky to find them! Let us know how you're doing-

Ruth

Sounds like you're not eating enough to me also. How is your energy level? Are you tired all the time?

We DO get wrapped up in numbers, don't we? I fret about my legs, but I have to remind myself that even with jiggly legs, I still wear a size 6 that is getting looser! I can't be all that big if that's the case. I'm not a small person, (not small boned, and have big feet, etc.) so I also have to take that into consideration. I guess I'm medium framed.

I'll bet you look fine.

Thanks you guys. I will give you an update at the end of the week. This site is the greatest!!!

Have A Blessed Day!!!

I think all of the advice here is great! I'd also like to add that you are taking in a lot of sugar. Slim Fast shakes are basically sugar water and Gatorade has a ton of it as well. I know you don't like water, neither did I but like starlight6 said...if you keep drinking it you will start to crave it. Try adding lemon and or lime to it at first.

I also noticed a big difference in my body comp. when I cut out diary. Just FYI

Try focusing on whole foods. More fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes and low fat chicken and fish. Even if you don't lose "weight" you'll feel great :)

Good Luck

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1.gif

Hi Farm Girl,
Well, I think you are over exerting yourself and completly underfed. You weigh 107 lbs and are 5'2". Girl you are small enough. My best friend who is a personal trainer is 5'2" and her weight ranges from 122-125, she has 15% body fat, looks incredible and she is a size 2. I think you are focusing too much on how much you weigh. Instead of losing weight, all you probably have to do is build more muscle. That would mean weighing more, but that is what you want is muscle. It sounds like you aren't eating enough to build muscle either. You don't need to over-excersise and under-eat to have a body you are happy with. Be kind to yourself and your body. I am saying this because I am 5'7" and once weighed 99 lbs and I was doing just what you are doing. Finally, I was so fed up that I just stopped eating. I did so much damage to my body and I became injured for 8 months because of it. It sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself and that can be very dangerous. Sorry to preach, but I get worried when I hear someone panic about their weight when it shouldn't be an issue. Don't get me wrong, I still suffer from bad body image, but I don't let it control me any longer. If you ever need to talk, just let me know. If I am out of line, I am sorry, I only said this out of concern.
Take care,
Christine

Thanks!!! I have had a problem with eating when I was younger. I guess I am afraid of graining weight. I hear so many people ( at work ) who tell me that when I get older that I will gain weight. I do not want that. I was down to 85lbs. when I was 15 year old. I guess maybe I am not over that yet. But my mom has been a big help. I can talk to her anytime. I just do not know what to eat. As I said I am vary picky. Someone said to drink a protein drink but must of them taste like grit. What kind do ya'll drink? I found one that is supose to taste good. I is called permalean. Has any tred it? They have a websie, it is permalean.com. Thanks for careing!!! Have A Blessed Day!!!
[email protected]

Hello FarmGirl:

It's me again...

In response to your question about protein shake. I make the most yummy shake. Of course, I love everyting I put in there. It is

3 scoops vanilla protein powder (or serving size per container)
1 tablespoon peanut butter (I use reduced fat...)
2 packages of splenda (or equal, but I like splenda better)
1 cup skim milk
1/2 frozen banana
1 tablespoon chocolate powder (the baking kind)
2 handfuls of ice

Blend in blender until smooth

It is so yummy, but I love CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER TOGETHER!!!

360 calories
39 grams of protein
6 grams of fat (if you use reduced pb otherwise it is 9 grams of fat)
carb varies on protein powder used!!!

I have one of these a day. It helps me get enough protein AND it is a yummy treat!!!
Also, just for the record...there are pretty much two types of protein powder, whey and soy. I personally prefer the soy. I can't get the whey down at all. Make sure whatever you buy that you buy a SMALL can first, that way, if you don't like the soy you can switch to the whey without too much cost involved.

Blessings,
Cynthia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.