Personal Training Certification

jmmaffattone

Hi Cathe,

I've really gotten into fitness in these last couple years and you have been such an inspiration to me. I want to become a personal trainer and was wondering your thoughts on which certificate program is best? I was thinking ISSA, since I eventually would like to work in Sports Nutrition. There are so many different certification programs, what is your advice?

Thank you!

Julie

Hi Julie,

I got my PT certification on April 5th of this year. Cathe was very much my inspiration in finally getting my certification. When I was trying to decide what school to go with I asked around in my area what certification they recommended. I had also considered ISSA but ended up going with ACE. ACE has expanded the different types of certification they offer.

Good luck in your studies!!!
Brenda

Question for both of you ladies.....do you think there is an "age limit" for going for PT cert? I'm looking for a change in my career but thinking I may be too old:(

Question for both of you ladies.....do you think there is an "age limit" for going for PT cert? I'm looking for a change in my career but thinking I may be too old:(

Hello,
I don't think there is an age limit. When I got my first job as a trainer, there was a lovely older woman who was starting work the same day I was. She signed a lot of clients and was an excellent trainer! If I remember correctly, she was actually closer to retirement age. You are definitely not too old. :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the advice! Does anyone have any thoughts as to which certification is better recognized or more useful in health clubs and gyms, NASM or ACE?

I certified last fall with WITS but am going to be getting my NASM certification relatively soon at the suggestion of my boss at the training studio I work for. It's not a requirement but he said it's the top cert for personal training as far as he is concerned so it would behoove me to obtain it. He said, among other things it will earn me an automatic raise in pay at his place! Who can argue with that!?! :D

When I was training, I also chose to get NASM certified. It's a really great program and all-encompassing. They even have a group cert if you wanted to teach group classes. And like another poster said, the pay raise that came with it was pretty sweet :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.