Osteoporosis at Age 36

sandi_y

Hi Cathe,
I'm 36 years old and have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. My doctor will establish a course of treatment (drugs?, vitamins) after a series of blood tests.
I have always been fairly active and have recently been training for a 1/2 marathon, but have had to reduce my mileage due to IT band syndrome in my right knee. I still run 6.5 to 8 km 3 times per week, usually starting at 6:30 am.
I realize that weight-bearing activity is very important to try to stop osteo. I have your MIS, MIC, Circuit Max, BodyMax & Cardio Kicks tapes and have been using MIS but not nearly as often as I should.
I also have 3 children, a husband and a busy job, so time is a factor when working out.
My question is this: I want to continue running 3 to 4 times per week while the weather is good, but must fit in weight training as well. Would it be better to do upper body MIS & a run on Monday, lower body MIS & a run Tuesday, repeat Wed & Thurs, then maybe Circuit Max on Friday?
Or would doing MIS a full 3 times per week be better for my bones? Would the first option give me enough weight training each week?
Thank you in advance, Cathe. I refuse to let this progress and alter my chances for a fit and healthy lifestyle.
Sandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.