Only Cathe on weekend-what to do?

I bought lots of Cathe equipment this summer and have loved it. Now I'm going to college and I want to keep from gaining the dreaded "Freshman 15" and in fact would like to shed some weight and firm up. I plan on coming home most weekends and thought that would be when I can use Cathe. I plan on taking advantage of my school's fitness facility during the week, but I really like how Cathe targets areas. I might as well plan this way as I already have all the materials. So presuming that I come home after my last noon class on Friday, what would be the most effective workouts to do Friday, Saturday and Sunday?? What would be the most effective gym workouts to do during the week in correlation with my Cathe weekend workouts? Thanks so much!

Hi, Gonnabthin06!
YOu might want to post this question in the "Open Discussion" forum as well, to get the benefit of advice from other Cathe forum members. ;-)

Hi, Gonnabethin06! I agree with Kathryn about posting this on the Open Discussion forum as well, because you'll probably get more hits and responses.

However, in the meantime, please list here what you have for Cathe DVDs, what fitness equipment you currently have (step, band, med ball, stability ball, weights {dumbbells and/or barbells}, etc.), and what you've been doing this summer. Also list what amenities your college gym has (free weights; weight and/or cardio machines; running track; group fitness classes; swimming pool; etc.).

With that info I'm sure Kathryn, I and others can give you some initial suggestions.

A-Jock

Thanks for the quick responses! This summer I've been doing the stretch max, core max, beginning step, low max, and a shot at Imax 2. Those are the workouts I have in addition to being able to switch on fittv. Recommendations for other dvds are welcome! I'm still getting used to the step. I have the one that goes 4-6-8 (pretty sure) that is green and pink, but I hope to upgrade once I really devote myself to this. I really like core max!

At school, first of all it's a really big campus and I'm on the 11th floor of the dorms and I plan on really taking advantage of the stairs. Because I think of college as "me time" kinda, I also plan to use the state-of-the-art fitness facility every single day. In it they have various classes (yoga, pilates, cardio mix, one step class/week, kickboxing), elliptical trainers, treadmills, all the weightlifting stuff a girl could want (which I really am looking forward to!), a 1/6th mi. track indoors, indoor and outdoor pools, 6 raquet-sport courts and some amount of basketball courts.

As opposed to gaining like some people, I really want to lose weight. Thanks again so much. I'll be reposting this in the open discussion forum.

Hello again! I think your next purchase should be one of Cathe's total body strength DVD's, which you could use either at home, or gather ideas to bring to your gym's freeweight area. Suggested DVDs include:

Muscle Max (from her most recent Hard Core Series)

Pyramid Upper / Lower Body from the Intensity Series(actually, this is a two-part split-set series that has two complete intensive workouts, one for upper body strengthening and one for lower body strengthening; however, it has several shorter premixes you could use0

Boot Camp / Muscle Endurance from the Intensity Series; this DVD has two complete workouts, and the Muscle Endurance is strictly a weighted workout; Boot Camp (one of my faves) has several short weight segments and again, there are several premixes (one of which combines Muscle Endurance and Boot Camp footage)

The Power Hour / Maximum Intensity Strength / Body Max 3-workout DVD from earlier years; the Power Hour workout mimics the popular Body Pump choreographed weighted workouts, and Maximum Intensity Strength is more of a traditional total body weight workout. Body Max has step cardio AND strength segments, so actually you may want to get this one first if you like step.

The Push-Pull / Supersets DVD from the Body Blast Series.

I say get and use one or more of the above, and strength-train at least twice per week at your gym (perhaps Mondays and Thursdays); use the pool one day a week for terrific cross-training (of course, my name is "Aquajock" so you know my bias :D ) and do one land cardio workout (treadmill, group fitness class, elliptical) of your choice each week, taking care to mix it up. If you overrely on step (I notice all of your cardio DVDs are step), you're going to get too efficient at it very quickly, and lose the keenest edge of the workout.

HTH -

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.