Is one day a week overeating bad?

Lanieltd247

Cathlete
Hey ya'll! I have a little question and any input would be greatly appreciated. If a person overeats about 1 day a week, is it bad? If so, how bad and what is the damage to the body? Cathe, your opinion and expertise is needed also! Thanks you guys!

Sincerely,
Alana

Alana... IMO everybody is different. Some people can have cheat days and do just fine. I think it depends on the person. When it comes to junk, I can never eat just one, it sends me into a downward slide for some reason. I will, however, on occasional have dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant which is high calorie and usually high on the fat side but doesn't have the same effect on me as, say, eating a serving of tortilla chips, I don't want a serving, I want the whole bag!!

Occasional controlled portion treats, IMO, aren't bad for you, bingeing will get you in trouble.

Depends:
How much "overeating" are we talking about (twice your daily calorie needs? a hundred calories extra?)?
Does this happen on a regular basis?
Is it REALLY only one day a week (be honest with yourself)?

Some say that overeating every once in a while is a metabolism trigger for the body, that helps up the metabolism.

Some people are using a variable-calorie diet system (goes by another name, which I forget) in which they cycle the amount of calories they eat: somedays "undereating," some days "overeating." It all evens out in the end, and it keeps the body from going into starvation mode and hanging on to fat after the low calorie days.

I've also read that the body can't process more than about 500 calories at a time (what it can use for it's immediate needs), so any calories over that per meal are more apt to be stored rathen than burned (also depends on the person: the number would go up for a big, muscular guy, who would burn more, and down for a tiny woman, who would burn less).

If you find yourself consistently overeating one day a week, try to focus on eating more (if you want), but of nutrient-dense, lower calorie foods, like big salads with lots of greens (you could eat a huge amount of greens without eating a huge amount of calories).

If it is a regular day per week, perhaps you could eat less the day before and the day after to even out the overall number of calories.

Hey thanks for the input everyone. I overeat about once a couple of weeks and it's doubled or double and a half the intake of my normal intake of calories. Somedays I just seem to craves carbs, mainly bread, whole wheat at that! lol. I just was curious. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Lanie

I have a cheat day every week, and it does not hinder my goal to stay at my "good" weight at all because I keep it to just one day and do not cheat the rest of the week. It works for me, and as all the others have said, you have to see what works for you. Tomorrow is my cheat day, and I can't wait!
Just Do It! :)

Hi Lanie, I used to have days like that about 12 years ago. The reason I think it was bad for me, is because there is usually an underlying reason why you are overeating. Most people overeat a little here and there, and that is not a big deal. But if you are eating double your calories, I would be conserned with that. Not because of your body, but more of what is going on in your head and it could possibly lead to an eating disorder. Maybe you are just disciplined on the other days that you think you eat double your calories on that one day, if so, than you are probably fine. I stopped doing it after I saw a dietitian and got on a more regular pattern of eating. I also decided to go to college for Dietetics after that (which made a huge impact on a positive note).

Alana- I think it all depends on if you can "hop back on" the next day.For me I can't and everytime I have a cheat day it over flows into the next day.But I have a friend who as a HUGE cheat day and she can continue on with her cleaning eating the very next day.And she always loses at the end of the week.Its amazing if you ask me. But this is what the Body For Life program is all about.He limits you to certain foods and certain amounts through out the week but then one day of the week you can have whatever you want.So I wouldn't think its THAT bad.I guess you could go overboard with it.And you never know maybe it keeps your metobolism up.
Lori:)

Absolutely not! It's in the balance. A bad day eating which is followed by a scrupulously clean day is a treat and nothing else. Sometimes indulging oneself is necessary and no guilt is allowed. We're fit chicks, we're not dead! ;)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.