Is one body part a day really enough?

kerry

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
Thanks for all you do for the home-fitness fanatics!
My question is this; what kind of results do you really get from doing a one body part a day rotation or any other split where each body part only gets worked once a week?

I would love to give it a try but I have heard so many times that each body part needs to be worked twice a week to get results, that I am almost afraid to try the once a day routine for fear of muscle loss,:( What's the real deal?

Any one elses input is welcome too:)

Thanks a bunch,
Kerry

Hi Kerry,
I've wondered this before too and have recieved mixed views. With the intensity of a one-part-a-day rotation gives you, you won't see any loss. In fact, I've known others that have had better results this way. I'm interested to see what others in the know have to say on this :)
Calee

Cathe,

I'd love to hear your response to this too. I just started my first split rotation this week with your GS every other day with cardio in between. I love the results so far (down 4 pounds already) but I was wondering if I should add another total body workout so that each body part gets worked twice a week (as you usually recommend, IIRC).

Great question Kerry.

Thanks for any response Cathe. :)

I am curious about this too. I have been rotating the 3 day splits and adding 1 total body day in. I like the idea of 1 body part per day though.

Not Cathe, but,i think i read Jai and Lorraine do 1 body part per week and look at them...
I do 1 body part per week as heavy and as much as i can do. I am sore for 2 days after usually. I think it is better for your muscles to recover than overwork them and not recover them.
I have built some muscle. Just that layer of fat over them boys.
Someone zip my lips....

I would like to hear Cathe's response as well!

However, I wanted to chime and say that I am a big fan of the one bodypart/day/week regimen.. Its the backbone of my fitness regimen.

Usually the workout is around 20-30 minutes (give or take)for an upperbody part and its really intense work. You can totally focus on the workout and give it your all. Lowerbody workouts are usually longer, esp. if its a Cathe workout, 40-60 minutes, but still just once per week.

Plus the long recovery time is great for helping that muscle grow.

I would say though that you still have to switch up to another type of workout after 4-6 weeks and then go back to it if strength gains are your goal.

When I am following this type of program and eating clean, I always feel great and love the way my body looks.

Take care, Lynn M.

Thanks for that input Lynn. That's really what I'm looking for is finding out what kind of results people see when using that kind of routine.

Would still love an answer from Cathe if she gets time;) . I'll give it a try and see how my body responds. I gain muscle pretty easily.

I just got Cross Train Xpress and the Pure Strength Series.

Thanks again,
Kerry

I just re-read my post and realized that I just kind of stopped! Without finishing my thought! I know that Xpress doesn't have as a long a workout per body part as you described Lynn but it's great for days when I'm short on time.

Tess, the routine you are talking about, throwing in that one full body day is one of the ways I've always done it too.

Okay, now I'm done:7

>I am curious about this too. I have been rotating the 3 day
>splits and adding 1 total body day in. I like the idea of 1
>body part per day though.
I've been doing this type of rotation also. But would like to hear about 1 body part per day.

Hi Kerry! I know I always say this but only because it's 100 percent true....no one method of weight training will work for everybody. You have to find what works for you and then continue to make changes (sometimes subtle and at times even all out radical) to keep the results coming.

One body part per day can be used in so many ways. For example, as Lynne said below, its great because it allows you to focus and give your all to that one body part since you know that your workout is going to be short and to the point. The key is you HAVE TO give it your all. And as mentioned, the recovery time for the muscles with this approach is nice and long to welcome the healing and repair for that intense workout. You may also want to do one body part per day at less intensity as a beginner who is looking for a short workout that is not overwhelming. Or perhaps an exerciser doesn't have a lot of time to workout, or is on vacation and looking for a quick fix workout to do without giving up too much vacation time.

As with any training program, you'll see enough results by 4 weeks to know if this is something you'll want to continue with, alter slightly (ie: put one total body workout in the mix to just hit everything again lightly that week), or do away with as a regular rotation.

Keep in mind no matter what your preferred routine, change is good. So even if you find a training mode that you simply love, you will still need to change it up somehow to keep your body from adapting and getting too comfortable with the current program. Subtle changes are mostly all you need to keep the body guessing, but every now and then it's "shockingly" valuable to just do something totally different for 2 to 3 weeks.

From my personal experience, I have found the one body part per day to work best for me when I am at the top of my game, seasoned and ready to meet higher challenges. I put a new twist on my body part exercises and really go for it. After about 6 weeks of one body part per day I'll go to a three day split (or 4 day split) for a while. Then I'll go back to one body part but with new exercises, but this time every other week I'll throw a total body workout as a bonus workout. Then I may do total body endurance workouts for about three weeks to let the joints and ligaments and connective tissue recover before going back to high intensity.

I hope this gave you a little insight as to how you have to find out what you like and how to constantly manipulate it so that it stays fresh and challenging.

Good Luck :)

What does Cathe mean when you said :
"Then I may do total body endurance workouts for about three weeks to let the joints and ligaments and connective tissue recover before going back to high intensity" ?

Which tapes are "total body endurance workouts"?
What is the "high intensity"? The one body part per day routine?

Thanks,
Susie

I think that by total body endurance she means workouts like the new series, muscle endurance, cardio and weights, etc. Basically, lighter weights, higher reps, more circuit style... sort of like what the Jari Love videos are designed to be. I think that something like high step training might qualify too.

Hope this helps,

Ady

Hi Susie,
Power Hour, MIS, and Muscle Endurance are all total body endurance workouts. Anytime you do the whole body in a mid to high rep, mid to low weight workout it would be considered endurance. The circuit workouts, like Ady mentioned, are also endurance workouts and would probably fill the bill too, except you don't get quite as much weight work with them.

Have a great day!
Kerry

Thank you Cathe, I have been waiting for you to answer this question! and it is a great question and answer

What do you mean when you say a 3 or 4 day split?

Thanks, Debbie:) :)

>Thank you Cathe, I have been waiting for you to answer this
>question! and it is a great question and answer
>
>What do you mean when you say a 3 or 4 day split? Can someone explain this to me pretty please:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you, Debbie

Hi everybody,

I actually do know what she means by that. She's talking about programs that are divided up like Pure Strength or the Gym Styles.

For a three day split would be day one Chest&Triceps, another day it's back, biceps, and shoulders and the third day would be legs & Abs. On a four day split she adds another day of legs.

A four day split could also be two upper body days and two lower body days.

Nice talking to you all,
Kerry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.