Is it ok to start with S&H?

vron

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I let myself go after going through a painful divorce two years ago and I'm now about 120pounds overweight and no muscle tone. After years of therapy I'm ready to get my life back. I have always loved your workout dvd's and so pulled out the lot. I have always enjoyed weight work, and since I have like zero muscle tone, thought I would start with Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength type workouts, in addition to cardio of course.

My question is: Is it okay / or a good idea to start with slow and heavy type workouts since I am so big? Everyone tells me to do light weight with more reps since I want to lose weight, however, this makes no sense. I'm so big at this point it's gonna take a long time for me to tone up and see results anyway, so I thought I might as well build some muscle so that I can burn fat while I'm sitting at my desk. Is my thinking right on this? lol.

Anyway, would love your input. Thank you so much! Love you! <3

Hi, I'm sorry for you divorce I went tru the same years ago it is not easy but you can do it. I'm not Cathe but I can sugested to use circuit dvds, she has low impact is cardio and weigths, in Cathe.com you can find for beginings. Good luck

Quite honestly, I think heavier weights will do more for you than lighter weights, plus the S&H is a great (re-)introduction to weights because the slow pace forces you to focus on your form. A good thing at this stage.

What matters most of all is movement that you enjoy, that makes you feel empowered and consistency. You are here for the long haul, right? So, slow and steady wins the race.

Congratulations to you for making the decision to get your life together and make changes. It takes a lot of courage.

Let us know how we can help you and support you along the way.

Clare

I agree with Clare that heavier weights would probably be best to build muscle. Using weights slowly and heavier have been shown to builde muscle more effectively than lighter and many reps...but either way, just doing anything is better than nothing. Also, just start with the weight you can comfortably handle and build from there.

I am sorry for your recent distresses and know that things will get better. Please give yourself time, be consistent and faithful and you will meet your goals.

Best wishes

Slow and Heavy is perfect if you start with weights that are appropriate for you. The last thing you want to do is make yourself so sore that you get discouraged right at the beginning. Start with a reasonable weight, learn the form, and then build up as you get stronger.

Would you be able to start walking also? That would add some cardio to help with weight loss. Make sure you have good walking shoes and get your doctor's approval.

Good for you to get going on the rest of your life! Let the past be in the past and just go from here. Best wishes!

Here is a a motivational video that will undoubtedly convince you that starting with strength (weight lifting) is one of the best ways to lose fat and build a stronger, better YOU:
Always Start with STRENGTH - YouTube

Here is another one with the importance of walking to help aid in weight loss while strength training:
Easiest Fat Loss Method - YouTube

So YES do S&H! I truly, truly believe from my own personal experiences that weight lifting (heavy/challenging) + walking is the most effective way to lose weight and build a strong, healthy body :)

Good luck & all the best!

Natasha

I think the most important is to start. Whatever quality and comprehensive fitnes & nutrition program to get on track. S&H is a great option to build a sound regimen. Weight loss is an overall process and building muscles is a part of it. Anyway, as I myself now see, you have to switch from ligth to heavy and back. Why not to start heavy, then, especially if it is the option that you like and can stick to?

Hi Vron! I'm so sorry to hear of your divorce and the difficult challenges you've worked through the last couple of years. However, I'm very proud of you for coming out on the other side of this trying time and recognizing that your health and well being are a priority. Good for you for taking charge of that right now by getting started with your workouts once again.

Honestly, right now what's most important is that you just do any form of exercise that you will enjoy and make the effort to do 3 times a week at about 30 minutes a session for three weeks. Whether that be cardio, dance, hiking, strength (heavier or lighter weights), yoga, all the above, etc. I think you just need to get your body accustomed to working out again in a way that makes you happy. This will be healthy healing and conditioning period for your mind and your body.

As to whether to start with light or heavier weights, its a matter of preference. If you choose to go lighter with higher reps, you'll eventually always increase those weights little by little as the workouts become to easy for you with your current weight. Likewise, if you start with heavier weights, you'll only lift with a weight that you can comfortable handle with good form and technique until that gets "too comfortable" and then you'll slowly increase.

I personally recommend doing both types of lifting for overall variety. If you prefer one way over the other, that's fine to do more of it that way, but every now and then introduce the opposite way back into your program to get maximum benefits from your overall lifting program.

Good luck and ((((big hugs))) to you for recognizing the need to do this for yourself! And remember...listen to your body every day and push hard on strong workout days and cut back or even take an off day on days where your body is telling you it's tired and or too sore.

Hi Cathe,
I let myself go after going through a painful divorce two years ago and I'm now about 120pounds overweight and no muscle tone. After years of therapy I'm ready to get my life back. I have always loved your workout dvd's and so pulled out the lot. I have always enjoyed weight work, and since I have like zero muscle tone, thought I would start with Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength type workouts, in addition to cardio of course.

My question is: Is it okay / or a good idea to start with slow and heavy type workouts since I am so big? Everyone tells me to do light weight with more reps since I want to lose weight, however, this makes no sense. I'm so big at this point it's gonna take a long time for me to tone up and see results anyway, so I thought I might as well build some muscle so that I can burn fat while I'm sitting at my desk. Is my thinking right on this? lol.

Anyway, would love your input. Thank you so much! Love you! <3

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.