Not Sure Where To Start W/your Video's

Deltsssw

Hi Cathe, Everyone one the Board :)
Ok 1st I need to say that I am Slightly Handicapped and this limits what weight levels I can do. Currently my Heaviest weight level is 10pds. U See I have Cerebral Palsy which affects my left side. the main problem when it come to working out is that I don't have Full Range of Motion with my left hand, What I mean is I can't Turn it over Palms Up, the furthest it can go is To "Hammer Curl Position" I guess would be the best way to describe it. And for certain moves I have to Use a Modification I came up with on my own, And that is that I sometimes use a Combo of Wrist weights & Dumbbells to make up the desired weight level because any Dummbbell heavier than 10 pds. is Just Too Much for my Left wrist. So Any & All Suggestions Are Welcome just please keep this Info in mind with your recomendations :). Also I have Been Working out seriously Since Jan. '98. So I'm not Completely a Beginner. I Have Been doing BFL for awhile now Need A Change, Some On-Line Friends Recommended your Videos . Unforfunately I Can't get the Plug-in toWork so I can't View the Clips of your Videos To choose which would Be Best So I'm Going this Route.
Take Care & Noblesse Oblige,
Jill Greedy

Hi Jill. Let me first say that I admire the way you are willing to work around your handicap. I had a brother who was a quadrapalegic (accident at age 17), and it took him years before he was able to get passed it and pursue activities like those without limitations. His girlfriend had (well, she still has it) Cerebral Palsy, but she is way, way more disabled than you. But still, she has the most positive attitude of anyone I know. I find her inspirational.

At any rate, I bet that you haven't received any replies here because noone is quite sure just how your "palms up" problem translates into anything other than a bicep curl. And I admit, that I have the same problem. This makes it difficult to figure out which video may be the best for you. And, so far, I only have Maximum Intensity Strength, Body Max, and Cross Train Xpress. I can tell you that MIS and BM are very, very similar in terms of upper body work.

However, I would think that you will have to work around any of Cathe's videos to the same extent. Any one will require some modifications. If she uses a barbell, you could always use dumbbells and your wrist weights. If she does a shoulder press with palms facing forward, you could do hammer presses. If she does french presses with palms up, you would again do them from the hammer curl position.

I'm inclined to think that your choice will depend more on what you want from a video than whether or not it has moves that don't require modification on your part. Do you like a fast moving video or one more slow paced? Do you want to be able to do your total body in half an hour, or do you want to concentrate on fewer muscle groups in that half hour? Do you want any aerobics thrown in? Do you do legs? DO you want standing legs or lying legs?

I think if you can be more specific about what you want in a video we may be able to help you more. Jeanne

Hi Jill! I admire your determination to find suitable modifications that enable you to continue to have safe and effective workouts.

As for my weight training videos, you will be able to do all of the workouts entirely with dumbells, even though I may be using a barbell here and there. If you prefer to use a barbell for some exercises, you can use an easy curl bar which allows you to keep your hands in a hammer curl position.

Whether you use dumbells or an easy curl bar, you can pretty much modify all exercises so that your hands remain in a hammer curl position rather that palms up position. If having a barbell on your back for squats places stress on your left hand, then use dumbells and keep them in a hammer curl position over your shoulders or down at you sides along side of your thighs while doing squats.

If there is ever any exercise that is not modifyable, then substitute it with an entirely different exercise for that same body part that is comfortable for you. Good Luck, enjoy, and please continue to post should you need any more suggestions.

Hi Jeanne
Thanks For Repling :), And You Are Right in that I Didn't really Explain it Very Well. Now for a Little more background maybe this will help. I'm Not Sure,but I'd hope some of you have heard of " The Body For Life" <BFL> Challenge's Well I've been participating in those since spring of '99. for a Change from what I'd had Been Doing which was Rotating thru almost All of Joyce Vedral's Workouts. And My Current Program was devised by a Fellow Bfl nut who just recently became a Certified Trainer, & I luv it, but I need a Change. And I am Not Familar With Cathe's Workouts other than what some other on-line Friends tell me that do her workouts, & they basicslly Say She Kick's ---, That's Why I posted for more info. & the Descriptions for the Videos are Vague Sorry Cathe :(, but that's how they come Across to Me..

As For Videos Well Those I Do have I Can't Keep up With So I Only watch them to get a Better Idea of Technique<Sp> Sorry, So I guess slower Paced would be Best. But I also have to be careful of the Weight levels of the Video's too. All I have which are Joyce Vedral the highest weight level is 12pds and that's Really Pushing the Limit for My Left Wrist Even with My Combination modifiication ;). Aerobics Sure,! Currently For Cardio it's My Manual Treadmill, Or Walk my Male Rottie, Stonewall:). Yes I do Legs It Depends On the move wether Standin or Lying is best..
Here is My Current Prog. Maybe this will help.;)

Day 1:

Chest -3 supersets incline chest press/incline flyes
Shoulders 3 supersets bentover raises/front raises
Triceps 3 supersets dumbbell extensions/kickbacks

Day 2: Cardio, abs

Day 3:

Quads 3 supersets squats/extensions
Hams 3 supersets lunges/ham curls
Calves 3 sets of standing calf raise (no superset here)
3 sets of seated calf

Day 4: Cardio, abs

Day 5:

Back 3 supersets barbell rows/dumbell pullovers
Biceps 3 supersets reverse grip curls/hammer curls

Day 6: cardio, abs

Day 7: Rest
P.S. I have Dumbbells, aWeight bench, barbell, And a Few plates. Curently I'm using my barbell w/ 1 10pd. on each end. Adnd Using my 10pds dumbbells, or my Combo trick of 5pd. Dumbbell w/5pd. wrist weights for Everything

Thanks Again
Jill

Hi Cathe :)
Thanks for Your Reply & the Suggestion of the easy curl bar always Wondered if it would be easier. Well not the stress on my Hand So much with squats as much as it is my Back, You see because of The Cerebral Palsy I also have a slight S curve at the base of my spine that's why when I do squats i Have the dumbbells at my Sides.. I Guess What I'm Looking for is Which Video or Videos would U or Anyone recomend I Start With?
Thanks Again
Jill
P.S. Here's What Noblesse Oblige Means,or I should say the Defintion I believe in.
Noblesse Oblige:
"I Believe that their is nobility in all of us. Perhaps the greatest manifestation of that nobility is the attempt to do the right thing. That attempt needs to be cherished and encouraged.
It is important on a daily basis to leave things a little better than you find them." Anthony De Longis

I've heard of BFL, and have peeked at the book at GNC. But that's about it. Again, I simply can't claim to be very familiar with all of Cathe's videos. I am buying them as fast as my budget allows though! However, I can suggest that you stay away from BodyMax and the CTX series since their aerobics involves stepping and you didn't mention having a step.

I think that MIS moves pretty quickly. That is, the reps are fast and there is little rest between sets. I imagine the Pure Strength series is similar. Perhaps if you prefer the slower pace, Slow and Heavy would be better. Just because Cathe goes heavy doesn't mean you have to! If you are interested in a aerobics tape, I can tell you that I love Cathe's kickboxing more than anyone elses! Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,
Thanks Again For Your Input, & I Will Take it under Advisement ;), But Seriously Thanks, I Did hav a Step Until it Broke it wasn't a very Good one
Jill

Well, Hi..

Glad to see you here. I am a (semi) regular here. Love cathe and love what what her tapes do for me.
Bottom line: I'd recommend the Pure Strength series and the Wedding Video. The Wedding Video is half step/half weights. You could do the step portion without a step--or ask for a new step for Christmas. (I wouldn't go above 4 to 6" max.)
I like all of Cathe's weight tapes--but Pure Srength is at a regular pace; modifiable; --just love it. Good luck. Murph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.