Not sold on the streaming subscription

dlaudy

Cathlete
Cathe,
I do your workouts at 5am before I pack lunches and head off to work by 8am. I don't have a computer in my exercise room (basement) and sometimes my kids and hubby work out with me and YOU! I don't want to add any time to getting started, and I don't want to buy more computing gear just to pay $20/month for workouts i already have. I also think the price is a bit steep, given your new DVD series are much lower annual spend. Our internet service isn't always reliable, and that is also the case at some hotels when I travel. Although I understand this is the latest technology, I would prefer the option to have the workouts on DVD so I can get up and get started with you every morning. So far the feedback looks positive, wondering if anyone else isn't sure....

I'm not so sure either. I thought maybe it was just me not understanding technology. But I also agree that I to have only my computer in my bedroom and my DVD is in my family room where I exercise at and I have no idea how to get the streaming into the family room. Lol I know you can buy a cord but I looked at the price one cord is 40 dollars and that would not even reach still! Grr so I'm still not sure how to make it work. I'm sure I am missing something lol.
I do love my DVD I'm old school though well really I had to learn to let go of VHS not to long ago it seems!
I remember Cathe DVD blew my mind with all the premixes ! I kept wondering how in the world did she get all that on that one disk!! Now I love them! Maybe we will get like that with streaming but I can't see it yet.

Streaming vs DVD

We're still making DVDs, so if you're happy with them by all means keep buying and using them. This is why we offer an option of $9.97 for customers who want to keep using their DVDs, but would still like to experience Cathe Live without having to pay for the same videos they already have on DVD. But if you're in area with lousy internet reception then this will not be an option at this time.

As for viewing streaming video it's pretty easy to stream from your computer to almost any room in your house and this technology is going to get better, cheaper and easier to use over the next two years. We're going to make some videos on how to do this once things settle down.

You aren't alone ladies.

I cannot justify $20 per month, which is double my gym fee at Planet Fitness (and they have treadmills!), when I already own the entire Cathe library. I value the premixes also, so the DVDs I own already offer me more options than I ever use or remember to use.

Also, I, like most mothers, come bottom in the family pecking order. So, while both daughters need and have been purchased a Mac computer to take to college, there is no money to buy me a computer. And between them and a large glass of water, they just ruined the Mac my youngest was previously using and I was to inherit. Sigh! If I could afford $20 per month for Cathe streaming, I would first have to be able to afford a computer through which to stream. Internet I have, however!

I cannot keep up with developing technology because my budget does not permit it. I recognize SNM's need to advance with the technology as a growing and competitive business. I thank you for your stated intentions to continue producing DVDs for the foreseeable future.

It's not a perfect world. I have my DVDs and I love them and am happy with them. Onwards and forwards ladies!!! Premixes at the ready!

In solidarity,

Clare

Agree with all of the above. I cannot afford to spend $20 a month on this. I love Cathe but I also enjoy workouts with other instructors and if I were to subscribe to their sites also this could get very costly.
I am very glad and relieved to hear that you will still be offering DVDs.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the streaming but for a different reason. I have a system set up to stream and do workouts because I use another site that only offers this option. That site offered a free trial (to see if you like it and if it works for you), but what really sold me on it is the fact I can 'pause' my subscription at any time and restart it with the simple click of a button. Good for when you know you have other things planned on your workout rotation or if you are on vacation, sick, etc. I'd be sold if it had this option!

Cathe streaming is only $10, not $20. I'm not streaming mainly I do not want monthly bills like the gym. I'll buy your DVDs whenever you produce them...

SNM -- I know streaming videos will be archived so subscribers can access them anytime. Can they be downloaded? I doubt they have chapter points as this will add more work to add it in. I hardly do 60 mins workouts anymore, so I would like to skip some parts.

Scxubber Bar for cathe Live

The live videos can't be downloaded as they're only available in a streaming format. They don't contain chapters, but the player has a scrubber bar to let you FF or rewind when watching the recorded video.

I still can't streaming to work in the place where I work out so I'm going to try one more option and then I'm going to have to contact customer service for a refund. :( With my husband's iPad (using Wifi) to Apple TV there is tons of buffering (constantly). My iPhone using LTE won't allow me to send to Apple TV for some reason (wifi wouldn't work at all). And the PS3 doesn't seem to allow the video to play and says I need an updated Flash plug-in but when I click the link to get the latest plug-in it says I'm up-to-date and have the latest one. Grrr. I SO wish there was a download version for the Cathe Lives.

Ipad and PS3 issues

If you're trying to do streaming at work you have to make sure that they don't have restrictions on file sizes for their wifi. Many businesses place bandwidth and other restrictions on their wifi to prevent users from using too much bandwidth and this will prevent streaming from working. You also need an internet download speed of about 4 mbps which nearly all cable modems have. If you're sharing the bandwidth in an office this will reduce the bandwidth you will receive on your device and could cause problems.

If the problem you're having is just with Cathe Live watching the recorded video from yesterday's live class on an iPad, then just shut your iPad completely down and try again. The iPad version of yesterday's class wasn't working yesterday, but has now been fixed.

PS3 devices have Flash, but it is an older version of Flash that can only be updated by SONY. You can't control this. Until SONY updates flash on the PS3, streaming will not work.

Thank you. I'm trying to access it from home and there are only two of us that use the connection (and I'll be the only one needing it for video), so there's no size restriction there.

The good news is that I can view it on my laptop from the basement without any buffering issues. The bad news is that I still can't send it to Apple TV and see it on my big tv without everything freezing completely. Everytime I turn off Airplay everything on my laptop starts up again. Once I turn AirPlay on and send it to the TV.... frozen. BLAH!

I updated my Apple TV software and rebooted but still have the same problem so now I'm going to ask my hubby for help. Maybe he has a wire that I can use along with my laptop so that it sends it to the Smart TV or has any other ideas.

I'll keep you posted and I'm remaining optimistic.

:D

Hello lisacohen,

It sounds like the high resolution video gong over wifi to your laptop with the streaming video in addition to the computer then sending that video back out over wifi to your TV is too much for your wireless network. A couple questions: Do you know whether your home's wifi network is 802.11a, g, n or ac? This will make a difference with how much data can travel over it at the same time. Also what browser are you using when you are sending the video over AirPlay?

To experiment, you can try using one of the lower resolution videos that we have posted today. These will require less bandwidth and might help troubleshoot to see if that is the issue.

Yes, please Cathe Crew DO make video's on how to connect our computer's and ipads and iphone's and ipods to stream your video's to view on our exercise TV's. As my living room is not setup to use my computer for Cathe workouts as there's not enough space when viewing the computer and I can't move my computer. But there's enough space when viewing my TV.

Thanks so much for this type of support so more of us technically challenged and space and computer setup challenged can benefit from Cathe streaming. :D

Streaming our Videos to Your TV

It's on the list already. We're going to start with Chromecast and Apple TV. In the meantime feel free to ask Curtis about any streaming questions you have about streaming to your TV, he has a lot of expertise and knowledge in this area.

Hi Curt,
I stream my ipad to old tv with apple composite cables. I am able to stream videos from ustream.tv, but not the ustream app. Does this mean I would be able to stream cathe Live directly from the ustream.tv website?
Thanks!!
Melissa

Hi Lisa,

Since we last talked we have created lower resolution versions of the video and put them on CatheLive. Using Safari with your wifi should be more than sufficient, but let's see whether the problem still happens using the medium-resolution file or the low-resolution files that we have posted. Could you give them a try and let me know if they work so we can determine if this is a bandwidth problem or something else? Thanks!

Hello 2121,

For the current CatheLive, you will have to go through our website (cathe.com/stream) and not use Ustream. Since the current method of watching videos uses a browser just like ustream.tv, you should have no problems viewing via a composite cable on your tv.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.