Not making progress (long)

A

Andrea

I just finished PS Legs for the 3rd time this month. Each week I have had to lower my weights on some of the exercises. With the upper body, I have not been able to increase. I have also done two 3 week rotations of S&H and have not been able to increase my weights at all. I am wondering why I am not getting stronger. I do cardio 3-4 times a week, although this past week I have also been practicing routines because I start teaching Monday! I don't practice all day though, and it is not always "all out". As for my diet, I am not super strict. I try to eat fruits, veggies, and whole grains, but I also eat junk. I had a baby 10 mo. ago, and reached my pre preg weight about 2 mo. ago. I am now 10 lbs. below that. I am not real sure why, chasing after a VERY active baby and not munching as many cookies maybe. I really hate to keep a food diary and figure out protein, carbs, and all that. Is that what I will have to do? Is my diet not giving me the fuel I need to get stronger (if that makes sense)? I am starting S&H again next week. I just love the slower workouts...in fact PS seems too fast even.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and throws in their thoughts!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Are you getting adequate sleep? Just wondering with 2 young children.

As for a food diary, you might try it for 3 typical days, just to double-check that your eating isn't way out of line. Personally, I've found I just need to eat healthy, not super-clean.

Debra

Hi, Andrea!

Just a thought: :-shy

One thing that has helped me make faster progress this fall is to be sure to eat the right portion of carbs/protein right after I workout. It's Edmund Burke's principle of "Optimal Muscle Recovery," preferably a liquid mix of 4:1 carbohydrates:protein. There's a product called Endurox at the health food stores, or you can make your own shake:

1 cup milk
1 envelope chocolate instant breakfast
1 banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter

This is a recipe from "Power Eating" by Susan Kleiner, and was also in an issue of "Muscle & Fitness Hers."

But really, a Gatorade bar, or a bagel and some juice would be about the same.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

Debra and Gretchen

I believe I am getting enough sleep. It is not all at once as I am up 2-3 times laying my baby back down and then up at 4 am to pack hubby's lunch. But I always feel very rested.

As for the 4:1 ratio, I will try that. I have been working out at night and just drinking a bunch of water and going to bed. I also have that issue of M&F Hers and like the other smoothie they have in the meal plan also. I'm never hungry after working out, so this should work good. I'll just have to blend in the bathroom with the door closed so I don't wake everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses :D

Andrea

Just my humble opinion . . .

There could be two things going on.

1.) Yes, your diet does play a very big role in progress. I'm not a clean eater by any means, but if I don't eat right, I don't see the strides that I've become expect. I agree with the above poster about journaling. I've been doing it for two years and yes, it's a pain in the butt when you start but it will save it time and time again once you get used to it.

2.) It could be your routine. I know for me, I haven't seen a strength gain in awhile now, but my routine isn't designed for strength gains. Right now, I'm doing CTX for three to four weeks then I'll change. I'm not expecting strength gains. When I was doing S&H, I started to see strenght gains but only after I had to cut back and then I was creeping up to where I was before I started and as soon as I changed, BOOM! I'm sore again. But that's what is suppose to happen. Change, new development, definition. I'm not sure women are supposed to continiously see strenght gains without seriously training. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure our bodies just aren't designed for it.

Again, just another humble opinion.

[link:mykbt.net/|Keta's Basic Training Home]

[link:mykbtforum.efree2net.com/|Keta's Basic Training Forum]

Hi Keta!

I enjoy your nutrition posts at the Firm Forum so much. I am just a lurker there, and was at your site yesterday checking out your journal. Was thinking of joining you, or at least getting hints from you.

So...do you go to bed at 11:30 pm and wake up at 2:30 am? If so, I'll be eating exactly what you are! J/K ;-)

Andrea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.