next step

jnka825

Cathlete
hi Cathe! I am new to your workouts. I started working out using your basic step and body fusion dvd. I really only do the add-ons and then run or go on the elliptical for cardio. I have seen great results just using the add-ons and am looking for the next step. What dvd would you recommend for strength training only? Because I am new, but consider myself intermediate level, I am not sure what to get next.

Thanks,
Kristin

hi Cathe! I am new to your workouts. I started working out using your basic step and body fusion dvd. I really only do the add-ons and then run or go on the elliptical for cardio. I have seen great results just using the add-ons and am looking for the next step. What dvd would you recommend for strength training only? Because I am new, but consider myself intermediate level, I am not sure what to get next.

Thanks,

Hi Kristen! If you are only looking to get one DVD then the workout will have to be a total body workout so that we hit all muscle groups in one workout. Since you are used to Body Fusion and Basic steps add on strength training, I am going to suggest Power Hour because it eases you into more advanced strength training by just doing one or two exercises per muscle group. All you will need is an adjustable barbell and a set of light and heavy dumbbells.

Have fun!

Ooh, I LOVE Power Hour!! I remember when I first got this one (it was my introduction to Cathe) and I thought it would be a piece of cake. I was used to working out in a gym with a PT, and I confess that I looked down my nose a little bit at DVD workouts for home use, but I sure got my comeuppance :eek:. PH totally humbled me, but in a good, fun way! :D

so when you started doing power hour, did you use a barbell righ taway or just a body bar or heavy dumbells? I don't have a dumbell, wondering if I could even lift that heavy yet.

ANy advice?

I started with dumbells and quickly realized I needed much heavier dumbells than I had. That was the beginning of my obsession with equipment! LOL You can totally start with dumbells, but if the moves seem pretty easy, then you need to go heavier. If you can barely be able to finish the last rep, then you are perfect! ;)

Hi Kristin,

You can use a barbell from the start. It depends on its weight. My barbell alone is only about 4 lbs. So if you add only 2.5 ou 5 lbs you could still have a light weight to lift. If you purchase a barbell kit, they often come with various weights so you can adjust it to your convinience.
Even though mose exercises can be done with dumbells, sometimes, I find it easier to use a barbell just like Cathe does.
HTH
Nathalie

Ooh, I LOVE Power Hour!! I remember when I first got this one (it was my introduction to Cathe) and I thought it would be a piece of cake. I was used to working out in a gym with a PT, and I confess that I looked down my nose a little bit at DVD workouts for home use, but I sure got my comeuppance :eek:. PH totally humbled me, but in a good, fun way! :D

ME TOO!! *a tip from the hip...*

Love love this workout!

I love PH At first I thought it would be "easy", but my oh my:) The bicep part really gets to me. My 16 year old DD did portions of GS Legs last nite and now has new found respect for her mother (and Cathe:)). Have Fun w/PH, Kay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.