Newcomer to Cathe's Pure Strength series

Marlene123

Cathlete
Just wanted to say that I have been doing The Firm routines for several years. Stopped two years ago..I guess I was getting tired of it. Anyway, I resumed several months ago and quickly worked up to my previous levels. However, I was intrigued by all the talk about how tough Cathe's tapes are so I recently purchased all three parts of the Pure Strength series. I figured that The Firm was supposed to be so tough, how hard could Cathe's routines be for me?

Well, I got the answer all right. She kicked my butt, especially the lower body segment. Eeee-owww. The upper body routines are great. After only three weeks I can see more development in the shoulder and biceps than I ever got from The Firm. My goal is to have more muscle definition in upper body but since I seem to overdevelop in the lower body quite easily I decided to keep the weights low. But even with lighter weights for lower body than Cathe uses I can still feel it. For days.

I am really happy that I decided to go with Cathe. I know that eventually her tapes will get me where I want to be.

I have been doing one routine for three consecutive days, day off, then begin again. For instance:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Tri's, step bench tape
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back, Biceps, step bench tape
Thursday: step bench tape
Friday: start all over again.

Naturally, I have been reading with great interest about the new weight training videos currently being made and was wondering if I should get them also and incorporate them into what I am doing.

If so, what rotation should I use?

I would appreciate any feedback from Cathe-ites out there (or from Cathe herself if she has time to reply).

Like I said, I am a newcomer and this website is frequented by people experienced with Cathe's stuff.

Thanks.

Marlene

Hi! Isn't Cathe great??!! Anyway, I was wondering what your fitness goals were and if you enjoyed step tapes since Cathe is the queen of step! For starters until we hear back from you, I'd at least consider Maximum Intensity Strength for a total body workout in one day, of course you could opt to do the upper body part on one day and the lower body on another. Also, the Cross Train Express series is excellent. It's different from the Power Strength series that it uses higher reps with lighter weights which will work your muscles in an entirely, yet effective way. Can't wait to hear back from you, and Cathe of course!

:) Stacy

P.S. What other tapes do you have both Cathe and non-Cathe?

Hi Marlene, & WELCOME!

Just wanted to say hi & to comment that I too use lower weights than Cathe on the lower body work & I still had visible results less than 2 weeks after I started. I think any of her strength workouts would be beneficial, they are all a little different from each other in different ways, which keeps interest up & challenges our muscles!

I defy anyone to find a better instructor than Cathe!! :)

Ruth

Thank you Ruth and Stacy for your very speedy replies.

Let's see if I can answer some of the things that came up.

My fitness goals right now are:

1. get rid of the remaining flab I accumulated in my two year layoff from exercising. Losing 10 pounds will put me back to where I was two years ago, that is, a size 4. I figure the step bench workouts will address this.

2. get cuts and definition in upper body from the weight training

3. work on lower body to maintain and improve tone without bulking up. My quads and hams already show too much development after only a few months. Don't want more. I do use heavier poundage for the inner and outer thigh as this area is not bulky.

Regarding what fitness tapes I have, as previously stated I have all of the Firms (Firm Volumes 1-6, Crosstrainer Strength/Cardio plus most of their parts videos). The only ones I don't have are the ones The Firm marketed as "beginner-intermediate."

I have lots and lots of step bench videos including Tim Culwell, Gin Miller, Kelli Roberts, etc. I don't have any of Cathe's because I believe they are mostly high impact and I can't go that far. I enjoy tapes of mixed impact but Cathe's step bench workouts scare me to death. I am 52 years old and I am not sure I should ask this ancient body to leap and jump nonstop for the whole workout.

Regarding Maximum Intensity Strength: I would not mind giving it a try if it does not contain too much high impact but how would I work it into my training schedule? My emphasis is on weight training, not aerobics and if I did this total body workout I would have to not do another weight training tape the day before and the day after. I am no expert, so if you have any advice I would be glad to hear it.

Before I stopped exercising two years ago I spent about 50% on aerobics and 50% of my time on weight training with The Firm. I had good results but this time around I want more muscle definition in the upper body. I believe the Pure Strength series will take me there. If it does not kill me first.

I notice that there is a new 3 part weight training series forthcoming. Should I get these and alternate between Pure Strength and the soon-to-be-released Slow and Heavy series? Or should I just stay where I am for a while?

I would appreciate input from anyone on this.

Thank you so much.

Marlene

Hi again! Thanks for the info. Your fitness goals are similar to mine although Ive never been a size 4, lucky you! Anyway, let me start by saying that Maximum Intensity Strength is not an impact workout at all, simply a strength training workout. Since I dont have any FIRM tapes or any other step tapes in common except a few of Gin Miller's I cant really comment on how they compare to Cathe's other than saying I'm sure Cathe's are higher. I'm not one that can workout 6 days in a row, I like to do 3 days on, day off, 3 days on, day off, etc. From info obtained from all the posts most agree that to continue to see results you should change your workouts every 6 weeks or so, so your body doesnt plateau by getting used to the same exercises. To lose the extra 10 lbs I'm sure adding a little more cardio to your weight work will help. Maybe a few sample rotations could go something like this:

-PS Chest, Shoulders, Triceps plus cardio
-Cardio of your choice (more intense than previous day)
-PS Legs and abs
-rest day
-PS Back, Biceps, Abs plus cardio
-higher impact/longer cardio session (maybe an interval workout?)
-PS Legs and abs
-rest day

Then after 6 weeks you could change to a 6 week rotation using Max Intensity Strength (MIS)or another great total body workout is CIA 2102 Powerbar Training (using a barbell, a powerbar is not necessary, or even add Cathe's new Power Hour workout here which would work your muscles with higher reps, lower weight....

-MIS
-Cardio (Cardio Kicks is a good one, can you tell I like Cathe??)
-Power Hour or CIA 2102
-rest day
-cardio
-MIS
-cardio

If you do a search for workout rotations you should find a post about FIRM/Cathe rotations that someone put together filled with tons of sample rotations. Hope that helps some!

:) Stacy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.