newbie with question

Huntersmommy

I have had the Pure Strength series for a few months now, and I used it a couple of times before Christmas. But I just couldn't get in the groove. I really want to add some strength training to my routine, but I feel like such a wimp.

I did the legs tape on Friday, and I'm still sore. I did both the arms and back tapes yesterday and I can barely move my arms. Is this normal? I'm actually doing a rest day today because my body feels like it needs it. But how can you continue with these tapes when they make you so sore? I wasn't even going all that heavy. I did lift to failure and pushed myself, but yikes. I sure feel it today.

I was planning to do those tapes and then maybe add a full body workout sometime in the middle of the week. This is in addition to cardio throughout the week. Am I doing this right? That is, unless my arms don't feel better. At this point, I'm not sure I could pick up my water bottle, much less more weights.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brenda

Hi Brenda! Welcome to Cathe's! Yes, soreness is very normal when you start a new program. I'd def take that rest day. When you come back don't push yourself sooo hard. Start lite and then, gradually heavy up your weights. You have plenty of time to grow and match up with Cathe later. I also would not advise doing both of the PS upper body tapes back to back right now. Give your muscles at least a day or two between til you work them again. I would suugest at this time to do all three of your PS tapes at the beginning of the week, lightening your weights for now and then, at the end of the week maybe do a total body tape such as Muscle Endurance or Power Hour. That way you will hit each body part 2x/week. Ease into all the workouts slowly and before you know it, you will be adding more & more weight. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. (BTW, the more you do each tape, the less sore you will be. Soreness is not always an indication that it is working.) AGAIN, WELCOME!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Brenda:

take heart from the knowledge also that it will never hurt like that again. Alredy you have begun training your muscles to adapt top that type of exercise. The body learns quickly.

Unlike Debbie, I don't suggest doing a second, total body workout in the same week. Not yet. I would suggest doing each of the three PS series tapes once per week only, putting a good 2 days in between each one. Make those your cardio or rest days. Once you have done this for 6 weeks, and have managed to make some strength gains, then you can add more to your load, and add the total body routine in if you want to, or use the PS tapes twice per week, or switch to a different lifting series for variety.

Take it slow: slowy, steady and gradual overload on those muscles is the key.

Clare

I wish I had this web site when I started it will hurt at first. What I did when I first started out is do different body parts different days. My secret was to use advil after my work out making sure sure sure to stretch and warm up. I f you take week long breaks you keep starting alll over again. And If you have to talk your self up to working ou am workouts are way better because. You do not want to procrastinate your day away. I hope this helps. Once you warm up well your body will not hurt while you work out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.