New workout premixes concern....

kathryn

Cathlete
In your update, you posted:
>Premixes: As the founder of Premixes, it's a given that we
>will always offer signature premixes in each of our workouts.
>We are looking forward to making premixes that will completely
>maximize your workout options.

I think your premixes are one of the best inventions since sliced bread! In fact, on some DVD's, I use the premixes more than the workouts "as-is." But I have one concern: Can we hope that the chapters and premixes will be as well done as the 'pre-Hardcore" ones? I was rather disappointed at the badly placed chapters in many of the HC workouts, which in turn affected how smooth the premixes were (GS Back/shoulders/biceps was one of the worst, with many chapter points being either 'too early' or 'too late,' like right when you were starting a first rep. I'm so used to being able to take a longer break between sets during some of your weight workouts, and back-chapter to 'catch up' with no problem, that I found this very disconcerting). I hope whoever was responsible for those got some training since then!

>Pause.
>Take the break.... Pause the workout...

I shouldn't have to if that's not the way I was able to workout with Cathe pre-HC DVD's, or if that's not how *I* prefer to do it. (And it doesn't make the premixes smoother ;-) ) I may be the only one posting this concern so far, but I'm definitely NOT the only one who has it.

It's really not a big deal to have to press the 'previous' button once you're ready to move on. I love being able to use premixes too but part of doing any workout is knowing you might have to back the section up just a little if you need a bit more time to stretch or get your weights set-up, DVDs make it so easy!

The only thing that really bugs me about Cathe's premixes is the way Circuit Max is completely devoid of them.....actually, it's completely devoid of any sort of chaptering within the workout at all! Gosh, sure wish we could see CM re-released in a chaptered version!

I just put up with the stretch in StepFit being dumped in with the (very active) cool-down instead of chaptered separately. Anyway, I'm glad there was finally a premix for just the low-impact step segments in Imax3, unlike Imax1 & Imax2.....not that there aren't premixes for just the blast segments, lol!! Well, at least I can just hit the forward button for those since they're chaptered so well...for whenever I need a short/easy/recovery/postnatal day.

No one should have to pause. Do you have her Intensity Series? If so, compare those premixes to the HC Series. Big difference. The HC Series premixes, compared to Cathe's previous series' was poorly done, period. We all know that, there were plenty of complaints about them. And stating this, I rarely use those premixes of the HC, compared to Intensity or Body Blast. SNM, pls have a better editing team this time. Thank you.

<<The only thing that really bugs me about Cathe's premixes is the way Circuit Max is completely devoid of them.....actually, it's completely devoid of any sort of chaptering within the workout at all! Gosh, sure wish we could see CM re-released in a chaptered version!>>

Cathe, did not concentrate on premixes until later, I believe, the Intensity Series. So, don't hold your breathe on wanting premixes on Circuit Max. I doubt, that would happen.

I agree that the pre-mixes on the Hardcore series was not done as well as the Intensity Series. I do Coremax a lot. I like to do the 3 regular work-outs and then the pre-mixes for 6 days of ab work. The pre-mixes often have you switching equipment suddenly without warning, or positions suddenly. The answer is not to pause as someone else says. If pre-mixes are offered, than they should be QC'd carefully to make sure that they realistically can be used as a work-out without pausing. Coremax is the only one that I regularly the pre-mix because the rest do aggravate me.

Actually, the CrossTrain Xpress DVDs are chaptered reasonably well...which were filmed and produced at exactly the same time as CircuitMax. I agree though that it wouldn't do much good to hold my breath on that wish.

I usually just pause and/or take a water break in an effort to get ready. It certainly isn't always the easiest way, but half the time Cathe loads up her weight quicker than I do (I am just slower at it- please don't take offense:)) so I have gotten used to taking an occassional break. I really don't think it is about someone getting more training, but rather an effort to reduce time or incorporate more footage into the slot to meet each individual's allocated time. Cathe's production and quality have come a long way, as I see her being one (if not the best }( ) workout videos and workouts! I just think we should be motivating the team at this time.

This is not about being critical....it's just feedback. Having a lead in time between exercises is important (to me anyway). If I have to pause, and continuously press the back button it's
a)frustrating and
b)difficult to judge how long a workout will be.

Heather

I totally agree with you Kathryn. The problem you talked about with the premixes is what I found with the Hardcore Extreme DVD. I never had that with the Intensity Series Extreme. There just isn't enough time on HC Extreme to go from one segment to another. The weights do not even seem to coinicide.

Now, Lowmax doesn't seem to be that way, since it doesn't involve weights. I only did the HC Extreme a few times because of that. Now, the gauntlet, the viper I did quite a bit. That was not a problem. I like my workouts to flow together.

I think anyone who puts them together should be trying them out to see how well they do flow.

Great input Kathryn, as usual.

Cheryl

I totally agree with you Kathryn. The problem you talked about with the premixes is what I found with the Hardcore Extreme DVD. I never had that with the Intensity Series Extreme. There just isn't enough time on HC Extreme to go from one segment to another. The weights do not even seem to coinicide.

Now, Lowmax doesn't seem to be that way, since it doesn't involve weights. I only did the HC Extreme a few times because of that. Now, the gauntlet, the viper I did quite a bit. That was not a problem. I like my workouts to flow together.

I think anyone who puts them together should be trying them out to see how well they do flow.

Great input Kathryn, as usual.

Cheryl

I agree completely. And I also think Kathryn should be able to voice her concern without being told, "one word, pause." That's just rude, imo.

Cheryl has a great idea. I think the premixes should be done before they are sent off to the duplicater. If someone had done the Gym Styles before that point, they would have known exactly what we are talking about. Hopefully, Cathe already knows that the Hardcore premixes were sub-par and has a plan in place to get them back up to their previous level of excellence.

:) Heather

I agree completely. And I also think Kathryn should be able to voice her concern without being told, "one word, pause." That's just rude, imo.

Cheryl has a great idea. I think the premixes should be done before they are sent off to the duplicater. If someone had done the Gym Styles before that point, they would have known exactly what we are talking about. Hopefully, Cathe already knows that the Hardcore premixes were sub-par and has a plan in place to get them back up to their previous level of excellence.

:) Heather

I agree. I second Heather's response and I also agree with Kathryn's feedback that chaptering of the Hardcore series was bad.

BTW, the response of Acatalina to Kathryn was pretty rude IMO.

I agree. I second Heather's response and I also agree with Kathryn's feedback that chaptering of the Hardcore series was bad.

BTW, the response of Acatalina to Kathryn was pretty rude IMO.

SNM, I completely agree with what Kathryn posted.

There are TWO issues here:

1.the premixes need to flow better (with the use of insert cards or some other method).
2. The chapter points need to be well-placed, not only for the smooth use of premixes, but also for the smooth use of the regular workouts.

(and wanted to add that I don't think Acatalina was being rude, just disagreeing.)

Thanks,
Wendy

I love the Gym Styles and use them often "as is" and with the premixes. One thing I've found is that even using them "as is" the workout moves very quickly from exercise to exercise causing me to frequently pause my player to give myself more time to setup for the next exercise. (I use adjustable dumbells for my heavier weights so I need a few extra seconds.) I was thinking just the other day as I was doing this workout that the quick transitioning of this workout could be one of the reasons the premixes are poorly placed. Maybe something to consider for the new workouts.

Sue

BTW, It was not meant to be rude.
I was trying to state that if i need more time i pause.
I find my self doing it more often so i can heavy up more.

Regardless, i have seen flaws and i just work through them.
Even with flaws , they are the best around.I don't really let them bother me.
Also, I don't have another dvd that has premixes or is chaptered. Only Cathe ,and i have a stack of about 50 i am going to e-bay.

What i am saying is don't sweat the small stuff. Life is not perfect.
I am sure Cathe is doing her best, and it is hard to make everyone happy. Everyone likes something different.
I would rather have a great workout with a few flaws than lousy one with none.
JMO.
Anyways , have a nice day...
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Acatalina,

I understand what you are saying, but when you are spending 24 bucks on up on a DVD, and Cathe's are the most expensive out there on the market, you expect any quirks to be adddressed. If we are used to pre-Hardcore quality in premixes, i.e. Intensity Series, why should we just accept sub-par in premix quality that we got in the HC Series? The reason many spend monies, whether they hit the pre-sale or not is because of the total quality that Cathe gives from beginning to end in the workout and the premixes. SNM, knows from the complaints, and they should hear complaints or problems will never be addressed, that the premixes were subpar on the HC Series. And when you are spending top dollar, you should get top dollar quality that you are used to. This is not much to ask and for many who uses premixes as a "primary" workout, because this "small stuff" is "big stuff" to them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.