New to Cathe

XGymRat

Cathe (and others),
I've been a "gym rat" 15 yrs strong (both for weight training and step aerobics) until 2 months ago when I gave up my membership.

Now it's a new job, "tiny" new 1-bdrm condo and 2 kitties :-rollen!

Question:
It was recommended I get your MIS tape, for the serious "gym-like" quality of muscle training it provides.

I've looked at HOUR POWER(?), MIC and CTX as additional tapes for cardio training. Not quite sure I know all about the CTX tapes that I should. I'll go read up on them :-hmmm.

My condo is so small that jumping and "traveling" is minimal.

Your suggestions plse.

Tks.
Lisa

Hi,
Not Cathe but have the same space limitations too. One bedroom apartment, currently no sofa yet! I figure once I get one then I'm in real trouble.
I find that the PS series (3 day split training) is a real awesome weight training series that hardly uses any space. It's also very time efficient. S&H series is also wonderful.
PH is muscle endurance and if you liked Body Pump in the gym then this one is a real good sub. Hardly uses space too.
Among the step videos I've got...BodyMax and PowerMax don't seem to take up as much space as CMax...CKicks is a space hog though. RS has lots of around the step and mambos ( but is extremely FUN and so is CMax! )
Since Cathe, I haven't found a need for a gym membership at all. Sometimes I miss SPINNING and the actual live Body Pump classes, but I don't miss waiting in line for machines or trying to find parking or waiting for the shower and lugging my gym bag around.
Have fun chosing workouts!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-02 AT 01:55AM (Est)[/font][p]Thanks for the return comment. I'm so new that except for "PH", I have to look up the other acronyms, but all you said proved very useful.

I loved the Body Pump until 24-Hour Fitness, (Calif.) phased it out Aug. 2002 and began a Reebok program, which in my opinion, was not nearly as good, if good at all.

Cathe's new 6-tape "The Intensity Series" looks very enticing, but am afraid I won't have have enough room in my condo for the Step tapes. The weight training tapes won't be a problem.

So, we'll see what mood I'm in come Sunday and what, if, any decisions I'll make.

Might just get "Maximum Intensity Strength" for weight training (length of 78 min scares me a bit) as well as use my bicycle/trainer for cardio. I've got a couple other tapes I currently use, but I need variety.

Tks again for replying.

Other opinions welcomed!

Can you better describe how MIS is set up? Is there an "upper body" for 30 min and then a lower body workout for 30 min and then an ab section at the end? If so, I will probably buy that tape now. That's what I really was trying to determine -- how the tape is setup from start to finish.

Are you familiar with the new Intensity Series tapes of IMAX2, Boot Camp, etc...?? I don't need descriptions of those since I can read them, but if someone has personal intraspective, that would be great.

After the warm-up you get about 25 minutes of legs, then about half an hour of upper body, then abs and cool-down. It's a useful tape, even if you break it up.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-02 AT 02:15PM (Est)[/font][p]My two cents....MIS is a great Cathe intro that can be easily split into upper and lower body days. The Power Strength (PS) series is a great compliment to MIS b/c it has reps that are a bit slower and a few more exercises for each body part. I also love PowerHour, it's a great, upbeat "bodypump" type of workout. You may also want to look into purchasing CTX Upper Body Split which has all of the upper body work from the CTX series on one tape with no cardio, and then you can also get CTX Leaner Legs for a separate, grueling lower body workout. In my opinion you cant go wrong with any of Cathe's strength workouts, they're all unique in their own way so I dont think that you'll be buying any overlapping workouts at all by purchasing them all at some point. I lived in a small second floor apartment so until I moved to the first floor alot of Cathe's cardio was a no-go b/c of the impact to my neighbors' ceiling. But, most of her step tapes can be modified to small spaces. Her only real space hog is Cardio Kicks. Have fun!

Stacy

Thank you ALL for your additional comments.

I have no doubt about Cathe's tapes and the training they will provide. I'm a seasoned exerciser who had to give up the gym (reluctantly) so working out at home with tapes is new.

Variety is necessary and I'm slowly building a nice collection for alternating. I've got another instructor whose tapes I like but after much reading and research, I have NO doubt Cathe is the perfect addtion.

My only real concern was "overlapping" but Stacy has done a good job to settle that for me.

Next is to decide on the ENTIRE "INTENSITY SERIES" or buy just a couple out of that 6-tape collection that's newly released.

The MIS is from 1998 and I'm having my hangup there. Silly, but true.

Thanks again for all feedback and replies.

I've found that step workouts are the best in small space because you get a fairly intense workout within a small area.

When I lived in an apartment I took my coffee table down and moved the love seat into the bedroom. I figured it was worth it to be able to workout at home and avoid the hassle of going to a gym 5-6 times a week. I have a house now with all the space in the world to workout in (thankyou God).

I don't have the new series out yet but I don't think there is a whole lotta step in them as much as there is weight training
I-MAX II sounds like it would be the most bench work of any of them, but again I don't have them yet!!

MIS is a great video for weight training and so is the Pure Stenght Series. I have not gotten Slow and Heavy yet (and notice I said yet) but it looks great.

I have all Cathe's step vids even the older ones and I love them every single one so do try some of them. Power Max is waaaay fun and I love it the most I think.

Edith

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.