New Bench/step from SH

Lannette

Cathlete
Sorry for duplicate post but I'm hoping for multiple answers.

I'm a cardiac rehab nurse and also do employee fitness.
I'm thinking about buying the bench/step that is shown in the SH tapes for our exercise room.

If you are using this step could you tell me how you like it? Does it feel stable in all positions?

Can you use only the topper? In other words, does the topper have slip resistant feet or pads on the bottom?

What are the potential heights that it can be adjusted to.

I found a website that carries it but it only gives a 15" measurement. When I called the website's customer info I was told that the platform alone measured 20" high and that the blocks each add 5". I found that very hard to believe (the 20" platform part) after looking at several pictures and seeing it in Cathe's videos.

Last of all do you think the club step with extra blocks would be just as good? If you have both how do you compare them?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me. We're a small rehab and I have to make our dollars stretch as far as possible. (Saving for an elliptical trainer next year.)

Lannette

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-01 AT 01:27PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Lannette! I'll try to help you as best as I can but the steps that we were given for the SH series were advanced proto-types so they may have been altered some since.

To the best of my knowledge, this step has a 6 inch platform (with a slip resisitant surface but I don't remember if it had pads on the bottom)and came with four 4" risers making the step a possible total height of 14 inches. We were told that the step was designed and tested to be used with weight training videos, NOT for step aerobics. Just to see, I did try to use it for step aerobics and found that it had a bit too much give to it and seemed that overtime it would not last because of this give.

As a weight training bench I was very happy with this product and I loved how easily it adjusted for incline positions.

In my opinion extra risers under the club step would be just fine. While it does not shift to an incline as nicely and/or feel quite as stable in this incline position as the other, it still offers the ability to be used for step aerobics too. If you do not need it for step aerobics then you may want to consider the other step. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for responding Cathe. I know how busy you are.

Yes, this information is very helpful. The ads I've seen for the bench make it appear that it can be used for both stepping and as a weight bench and I thought I remembered you telling us that you felt it wasn't really built for stepping way back when the new tapes came out but I couldn't find the post by searching.

I'd like people who are new to stepping to have the option of using a 4" riser. I think 6" may be too high for someone just getting started and of course any lack of stability is a liability issue.

I have to share with you the fact that my 16 year old son loves the weight sections of BodyMax. He had tried to be consistent with exercise to no avail until he tried that tape and voila! instant consistency. (I think he may have a crush on you :) The first time he did the tape he ask me if "this lady is for real" because he couldn't believe how strong you were.

So you see your fans come in all age groups.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question,

Lannette (who also adores BodyMax and your other tapes as well.)

hi cathy,

where could i possibly purchase the new step? i'm very interested in buying one.is there a website online. please advice. thanks a lot!

rina

thanks for the info. the Super Stepper looks good as a weight bench coz it can go up to 14 inches and cathe said it's not as sturdy as the original STEP. i dont know if i should buy the Super Stepper or a few of the step boxes from the FIRM. what do u suggest?

>thanks for the info. the Super
>Stepper looks good as a
>weight bench coz it can
>go up to 14 inches
>and cathe said it's not
>as sturdy as the original
>STEP. i dont know if
>i should buy the
>Super Stepper or a few
>of the step boxes from
>the FIRM. what do u
>suggest?

Not sure if you're asking Cathe or me but I think I'm going to buy a regular club step with an extra set of risers for our rehab. There's a similar thread over at video fitness and a person who has the step said that she also didn't feel it was as stable as a club step.

If you're looking for boxes versus a regular long step you could wait until January when the new Firm step comes out. I got to try it while I was in Columbia and it's very stable and easy to switch back and forth. It breaks down into two shorter boxes (I can't remember the exact heights 4" and maybe 8") and then they stack together to make a tall box.

There is also a link on this site for an adjustable box by a company called Novel notion. (Never tried it so I can't comment on it.)

Lannette

Hippychick

The Super Step actually goes up to 15.5", not 14". The base is 5.5" and each riser is another 5", for a total of 15.5" if you use them all. It is extremely stable as a weight bench.

Nancy C. also recently made the great suggestion of stacking 3 of the risers on top of each other to use for sit-and-stands.

thanks cathe lannette and pamelap for the super step info

i'm looking into buying one soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.